Bumble foot treatments

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all!
Today was duck foot wellness check, and it seems all my ladies (3) have on at least 1 foot that has a swollen spot on the toe or foot with a small dark spot in the center (spot is very small about a pin head or smaller). Feet don’t feel hot and not red at all.

I’m assuming this is Bumblefoot starting out. No one is limping or acting weird, so we’re thinking tomorrow to put them all in my bathtub to do an epsom salt soak, then Clean the under foot with our anti microbial poultry wound spray. I do I have vet wrap - should I wrap them? Should I move all 3 inside to my garage with a makeshift recovery ward?

We’ve had a big amount of rain in the last week (zone 6B) So I’m concerned that if it’s wrapped outside they’ll get it gross(in the kiddie pool and such).

Also my Cayuga has some major calluses on her heels (no redness/infection signs) just large callus. I’m guessing that’s normal as she’s a big girl?

Not sure about ducks but with my chickens, I leave it alone unless I see limping/redness. In all the years had to treat one of my hens. She wasn't as mobile and limped when did but spending more time sitting. Treated with the soak about a week before I could express the puss, cleaned & applied antibiotic, wrap for a few days but then she started removing the wrap & it looked ok.

Hi all!
Today was duck foot wellness check, and it seems all my ladies (3) have on at least 1 foot that has a swollen spot on the toe or foot with a small dark spot in the center (spot is very small about a pin head or smaller). Feet don’t feel hot and not red at all.

I’m assuming this is Bumblefoot starting out. No one is limping or acting weird, so we’re thinking tomorrow to put them all in my bathtub to do an epsom salt soak, then Clean the under foot with our anti microbial poultry wound spray. I do I have vet wrap - should I wrap them? Should I move all 3 inside to my garage with a makeshift recovery ward?

We’ve had a big amount of rain in the last week (zone 6B) So I’m concerned that if it’s wrapped outside they’ll get it gross(in the kiddie pool and such).

Also my Cayuga has some major calluses on her heels (no redness/infection signs) just large callus. I’m guessing that’s normal as she’s a big girl?
Just in case, I found this article here that is very long, but thorough. If it helps you may need to read the whole thing or just parts of it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-what-is-it.74647/

Back
Top Bottom