URGENT: My Golden Sex Link has very red legs and feet, and NOT MOVING!

Island Fly Girl

Hatching
Apr 13, 2021
Blanche is a Golden Sex link, about 5 years old, and has been standing still in the run, not acting like her normal self, for at least a day. At first I thought she was egg bound and gave her a warm bath, she excreted what appeared to be creamy discharge and a soft shell egg. I noticed her and legs were really red/pink. HELP, please! Is she suffering from Scaly Leg Mites? Treatment?
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1546.jpg

Her leg scales do appear to be loose, so there could be scaly leg mites. Normally a fertile hen may have pink running up both legs, but that looks a bit redder than usual, so it may be from her leg mites. You can treat leg mites with application of a thick oil to the legs 1-2 times a week rubbed into the scales. Initially, you may soak her legs in warm soapy water, and use a tooth brush to gently loosen the scales. Ivermectin pour-on 5 mg per ml can also be used to treat leg mites, but there is a 2 week egg withdrawal time. Dosage is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight, applied to the back of the neck over the spine. Repeat in 14 days.

As for the shell-less egg, she could be having a reproductive disorder or problem with her shell gland. Shell-less eggs can be hard to pass and may make them feel weak and lousy. Is she getting layer feed with crushed oyster shell available? You can try giving human calcium tablet or Tums orally.

Her leg scales do appear to be loose, so there could be scaly leg mites. Normally a fertile hen may have pink running up both legs, but that looks a bit redder than usual, so it may be from her leg mites. You can treat leg mites with application of a thick oil to the legs 1-2 times a week rubbed into the scales. Initially, you may soak her legs in warm soapy water, and use a tooth brush to gently loosen the scales. Ivermectin pour-on 5 mg per ml can also be used to treat leg mites, but there is a 2 week egg withdrawal time. Dosage is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight, applied to the back of the neck over the spine. Repeat in 14 days.

As for the shell-less egg, she could be having a reproductive disorder or problem with her shell gland. Shell-less eggs can be hard to pass and may make them feel weak and lousy. Is she getting layer feed with crushed oyster shell available? You can try giving human calcium tablet or Tums orally.
Thank you for the information. Blanche is fed layer feed and has access to oyster shell daily. I'll try the TUMS and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom