URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

I'm sonsorry but yoi have done all you can do. You've done great though I know it doesn't feel like it. Ever since Amiga said maybe tumor? That's all I see when I look at the pic. It looks like an angry, mottled tumor. Buy we may never know.

As for a new mate, the first thing I thought was maybe an "adolescent" female? Like, big enough to take some picking if he gives it but not a full-on adult? And keep them in sight/separate for the first bit? What does everyone else think. I would like to see him with a friend and I'm sure you would too.

:hugs:

I had two males until I got my female. They were just fine but they are free range. Not sure about being penned up. They're still buddies even with the female here.

Oh, no. You've done what you can with what you have. Encourage the vet to think outside the box a bit (might he recognize it as a cyst that could be drained, for example), and then do what you both feel is best. Might want to give Donnie a little time with Minnie if you can, before you take her to the vet.

As for him, yes, another friend would be a good idea. Take a look at my thread about Welcome Hazel Bean and Carmella (don't recall the order of the names) and some of what I did to incorporate the three new ducks. Side by side, separated by a fence for a while, pretty much. Treats at the same time, then supervised visits, then all together.

hugs.gif

I will definately ask the vet if he will try to treat her...he is a very nice man but vets in this area are VERY strict about not treating any farm animals. Not sure why so strict - isn't an animal an animal?

I'm so mad that this had to happen. She has been just fine and happy.

You have every right to be angry. It is a terrible and sad thing to happen.

You might also let the vet know how quickly the pet duck popularity is growing. I know vets who don't treat "farm animals," but they specialize in birds. And ducks are birds.

Just trying to think ahead - would the new mate for Donnie have to be his exact breed? Or could it be a crested pekin, etc?

This really sucks! I could hardly sleep last night. My stomach is so sick knowing Minnie is out in the garage like that. I can hear Donnie calling for her this morning. I want to put her out here, but her bulge will get all dirty - I want it to be clean when we take her to the vet in a couple hours.

I know this is a last resort but here was someone who had been trhough this with their hen and a vet, at this point why not give it a try..
I would make a super concentrated sugar solution. As much sugar as you can dissolve in water. This will "pull" the inflammation out so to speak. When my vet did this to our hen the swelling shrunk immediately. You cover the prolapse with the solution. If you can reduce the swelling you might be able to get a better idea if there is an egg stuck. If there is.. and it wont come out she will develop Peritonitis which is an infection of the belly. this was from Kernel Cluck post 42 of this thread.

so sorry your having to go through this with Minnie, Praying for you both.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Took Minnie to my vet and he did attempt to look at her which I appreciated. He really wasnt sure what exactly had happened but he kept saying "Yeah, this isn't good....I can't fix this."

Minnie had to go to sleep. I miss her already.

Thank you all for your efforts. I wish we could have saved her.

Back
Top Bottom