Urgent! Please help! Graphic pics...

I'm not sure about dosage for that... Hopefully someone else knows? Mine is Duramycin-10 and it indicates 400-800mg/gallon per day. Administer 7-14 days.

I also had this happen from a dog. I filled the hole with neosporin, like most of the tube, one time and I kept her quiet and in a crate feeding her yogurt mix w/layer pellets and scrambled eggs and any other good stuff I had. I never touched the wound again just looked at it, thought for sure she would die, she didn't. She was able to go back with the flock about two days later, I just made sure that the wound wasn't being picked at by the other hens. You will be surprised how resilant they are, if the dog didn't do any internal damage she will probably heal.

I know me and my sugar water but I would give some sugar water for shock. It has always worked for me. I had a huge flock of geese torn to shreds by a pack of wild dogs. All mine pulled through with horrid injuries. I started with warm sugar water to combat shock, we then cleaned them, sprayed a good amount of scarlet oil, once they settled down they got baby food essentially. We got a bag of starter crumble, added egg yolk and warm water. As bad of as they were, once they were out of shock and deal with they ate with gusto. Granted that is geese and thats what they do but still.

You gotta deal with the shock first I think.

Pack it full of neosporin or some other antibiotic ointment /cream with OUT pain reliever
Warm, dark, quiet place to rest
Sugar water / or gatorade dashed in some water
Yogurt, egg (mushed so it doesn't take a lot of effort)

I am unable to see the photos posted from photobucket, but the skin will heal. You just want to keep the inside of the wound clean and infection free in the meantime.

I would definitely NOT give a human antibiotic without direction from a pharmacist or a vet. Pack the wound with topical stuff and wait until tomorrow to go to a feed store for meds to put in water or talk to your small animal vet / pharmacist about injectable penicillin if they feel it is warranted.

Ok, I have the wound all cleaned up, I cleaned it with peroxide and povadine, then put an antibiotic ointment on it. I covered it with gauze and wrapped it. I'm going to keep her in a crate in the house tonight and see how she does. She's had a little egg, and I got her to drink a little gatorade. Anything else I can do for her?

Just make sure she is warm but not overheating, plenty of fresh water available (with either sugar or a tiny bit of gatorade). I always leave food with my injured rooster even at night because I can't stand the thought of him being hungry
tongue.png
, but you may or may not want to leave some egg or yogurt with her.

there are some folks here really knowledgable about using honey and sugar in wounds (works crazy good), but since I can't see the pics I am hesitant to suggest that..... hopefully someone will come along and help you with that part.

I had a chicken with the skin on her back pecked/pulled off my my ex-tom turkey
rant.gif
. Literally she was peeled down to the muscle, and her tail was ripped partially off, as it appears your chicken had happen
sad.png

That was almost three months ago. I kept her wound covered with antibiotic salve and gauze until she formed a big, thick scab. Eventually, that fell off and she'd grown skin back. There is only a small spot, the size of a silver dollar, where the feathers have not grown back yet, but I see little nodules under the skin with tiny feather beginnings coming out of them. I still can't believe she lived, much less is normal. Chickens are tough, they can regenerate in amazing ways if you shelter them, make sure infection doesn't set it and give them time to heal.

I wish I'd taken pictures, but I was sure she wouldn't make it. Silly me.

Keep her inside and warm. The vet told me (for a duck) that a sick bird can lose 10% of their body weight per day trying to keep up their body temp while ill.

When I put my hen back outside, I covered her scab/unfeathered skin with Blu Kote (from the feedstore) so her sisters wouldn't peck at her wounds. Chickens will peck at red or pink things, but not dark blue ones
smile.png

Can i please say that this bird needs her wound sitched up. I had the same thing happen to my buff silkie Thunder she had a hole in her breast the size of a 10 cent coin. The vet put betadine solution in the wound then sitched it up. She is recovering well i put betadine on the wound for only 2 days, Its been 3 weeks since she had her sitches in. From the picture i would say that needs sitching up. The vet here doesn't know about chickens either but he knew how to sitch up a wound. So i'm sure the vets where you are could sitch it up for you.

My biggest issue with a wound like that was the flies getting into it. They layed eggs around the edges and the wound got maggots in it. I did manage to get them all by rinsing with peroxide and picking them out with tweezers, but it was not fun!!! So... try and keep her in a place where the flies cannot get in. I did get SWAT from the farm feed store and spread it (daily) around the outside of the wound which then kept the flies away until it was healed better. The neoproxin will help with the healing process also. For the first week my roo ate very little. I bought pedialyte (at the pharmacy used for kids with diarrhea, for the vitamins, etc.) and spoon fed it to him about three times a day until he was drinking on his own. Then I started mixing the pedialyte with medicated chick starter crumbles and oatmeal to make a mash. He ate a little of that morning and night for about two weeks. During that time I also had chick starter crumbles freely available, but I don't think he ate much of the dry stuff. After 3 weeks, he was eating a fair bit of the mash on his own (I didn't have to hold it up for him any more) and he was also eating grass (I put him in a small pen outside near the other chickens). I am amazed at how well my roo has recovered considering the size of the hole.

Well, it's morning and she is still alive. I put some food and water in with her last night, and she was eating a little of the food when I looked in after her this morning. Currently she is sitting in the brooder (it's all I have lol) inside with the lamp on her. I plan on keeping her inside so the flies don't get to her.

Back
Top Bottom