Urgent please help... Not sure if I should euthanize and it's killing me

chixwithkidz5

Chirping
May 2, 2016
We have a bird that about 2 weeks ago started having a hard time walking and even rolled... We noticed one eye looked like it may have a small injury. We treated the eye and brought her inside. We thought she was getting better and then she developed Wry Neck. We have been feeding her eggs / yogurt /electrolytes and probiotics. We have tried cider vinegar etc. She has had watery / green / with some white bowels. We are having to use puppy pads and bathe and dry her. A few days ago she started to make a honking sound... When she does she tends to stretch out her neck. Today she doesn't seem to be stopping the noise. Obviously she is one of our pets and we love her dearly... I don't know if she is having a hard time breathing and can't stand to see her suffer. We have no bird vets in the area and I have no antibiotics. We have used oregano which is a natural antibiotic. It's breaking my heart and I can't take not knowing if she is suffering or if I will choose to end her life when she is getting better and I don't know it... I don't know how to upload a video or I would.

Last edited:
It sounds like she could have Mareks. Have you looked into those symptoms to see if they match?

Could you go into a little more detail about her "eye injury?"

Any idea if she was vaccinated as a chick?

MrsB

Her eye was mininimal and looks normal but stays closed most of the time, and feet still move and curl around your finger a bit but she has no engery. It's the honking and breathing thats scareing me. I wish I could upload a video but I dont know how.

Hmm.

Can you check down her throat to see if something is stuck? Can you swab down her throat to see if you pull up any red strings (gape worm)?

If you feel her abdomen, do you feel any masses that shouldn't be there? Is her abdomen unusually squishy?

How is her crop?

Is it possible that she had a head injury? Could her eye injury be from knocking her head against something or getting pecked really hard?

How is her wry neck? What symptoms did she have during that time?

Is she still eating and drinking normally? Is she able to stand and walk around? Does she seem like she's "all there?"

Do you have access to a wormer like Valbazen?

MrsB

Hello,

Sorry to hear that your girl is doing so poorly. Have you noticed any changes with any of your other birds?

Of course keep her separated regardless and wash up, change jacket, etc.,between handling her and your other birds. If you don't have access to a lab and cannot see any obvious injury causing her issues, keep an eye in the others as well.

Sometimes a blow to the head can cause a number of neurological symptoms inluding wry neck. Did the eye appear to have been struck or was it simply watery/bubbly?

Thank you guys so much for your replies and I'm sorry for taking so long to get back. I spent about 2 hours that night crying and praying with friends of mine. In the end my friend who is an avid animal lover and often helps with rescues offered to take her home and allow me to get some rest... I welcomed to the thought. She made it through the night and my friend has agreed to "co-pet parent" during this time which has been an amazing help.

How to answer all the questions.

Her eye was never was watery or bubbly... just kind of one eye closed.

Her abdomen is fine with no masses.

Nothing lodged in her throat and nothing red when swabbed.

She is not eating and drinking on her own but will eat and drink what we feed her. Her crop is fine... We have dealt with sour crop before and she does not have it.

The wry neck came about a week after everything else... The Stumbling and fatigue and lack of eating came first.

She cannot completely stand on her own but right now is able to balance if you place her directly on her feet... My friend who is a massage therapist as well is literally doing "bird therapy" with her and has rigged up a way for her to have her feet on a wooden perch while being supported... I will have to enclose a picture because it was a brilliant idea.

All other birds are fine and I do suppose that there could have been some injury where maybe she hit her head? The beginning stages were noticed for a few days where she just wasn't herself...

We do have a dewormer now... invermectin. It came in after she was already sick and we have used it.

Her bowels are not as separated as they were before. It was like water and greenish mixture but separated before. No she either has a loose diarrhea or occasionally a thicker almost normal stool.

My friend said but yesterday she actually made a clucking sound similar to what the healthy bird might do at one point. She still makes what sounds almost like "honking" sounds that you hear in the video, but also has many times have the rest when she is quiet... she tends to keep her eyes closed but I wonder if part of that is because of the wry Neck where 1 eye is often down hitting up against her feathers? Not to mention that she is unable to get up and walk around so maybe she just chooses to sleep...?

Any advice is very welcome! Will be happy to answer any other questions or post pictures or videos if they help. I would be so thrilled to see her through this and consider it a huge blessing from God!! ♡♡♡

Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom