URGENT!!! PLEASE HELP *Pictures Added*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlehenny, Jun 21, 2010.

1. littlehenny

littlehenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Day 30 in the bator, I have one duckling that has been trying to get free from the shell since yesterday. I finally broke the shell off, but the membrane is so thick and it is stuck to the duckling. The duckling still has a loud peep.. Help does any one know what if anything I can do to help him.. There is a little blood when I try to loosen the membrane.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If there is still blood in the membranes- there is probably still a little yolk needing to be absorbed as well - peeling shell or membrane while there is still blood can result in a major bleed and in some cases the duckling can even die from that blood loss.. Since you have had the incubator open anyway- wet a face washer with warm water- wring it out a bit so its not dripping wet and wrap the egg in it leaving a space for the little one to be able to breathe. Apart from that- its just a waiting game while the blood and yolk absorbs.

3. littlehenny

Jun 10, 2009
    It doesn't have any of the shell left on it. The membrane is so thick. Should I wrap it in a wet wash cloth and put it back in the bator anyway?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Yes If you can..But make sure the cloth is still warm when you wrap it. If there is no shell covering the membrane to hold it in place- the membrane tends to shrink and leave even less room for the little one to move. Wrapping it up will stop the membrane shrinking- and the extra moisture will help the little one move around more.

5. littlehenny

Jun 10, 2009
    I have it wrapped. The poor little thing peeped loudly all night. I am afraid I have killed him. Thank you for the help. I am never going to incubate again. this is my 3rd time of trying, out of 47 eggs I have had 2 hatch with the 2nd hatch. I hope this one will make it. I have several other eggs in there that have finally piped, no movement or sound from them since yesterday. Again thank you for the help. The little guy I wrapped is starting to stretch a little more.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wish you luck with this little one - and hope that you dont give up incubating completely... It is in theory so basic...set the temp- and provide humidity and after the required time- babies hatch. But there are so many variables. I have been raising ducks and geese for 25 years but only starting incubating last year. Its so much easier to use a broody- but the number of times I still had ducklings hatching in my bed or on a hot water bottle because the mother abandoned a nest or kicked out a half hatched egg for no reason.... Getting thing right in an incubator takes patients and a few attempts to get right.

What kind of incubator are you using?

7. littlehenny

Jun 10, 2009
    I am using a little giant still air. I tried hand turning this time instead of using the auto turner. I thought maybe that was the problem.

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It sounds like a humidity issue when they pip but don't hatch. With your little one in the membrane what I do if there is no active bleeding from the membrane, is take a cotton ball or piece of tissue and some warm water and find an edge to the membrane and start gently wiping with a saturated tissue to peel the membrane. It takes a lot of water, dip and wipe, dip and wipe. The water will resaturate the membrane and it will peel off. You can't get in a hurry it will pull out the feathers. I even very carefully adjust a small stream of water and hold it in thestream of water.

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hand turning for ducks eggs is usually more successful. I use incubators very similar to the Little Giant- And have had varied hatch rates. My first ever attempt was good - but not great. I used my own eggs in the auto turner. The next lot was mostly posted eggs- and I was devastated with the results - and that was when I stopped using the turner.. I have had dry hatches- and some that were all wet and gooey... And a batch of crested duck eggs where I didnt get a single one to hatch. Something else I find helps alot is to spray the eggs with a very fine mist of water. I dont measure the humidity in my incubator for every hatch - I watch the size of the aircells now to monitor if they need more or less moisture.

10. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:This is very similar to what happened with our one little call. Check the wash cloth often, I had to rewet mine every two hours. For me, from the time I intervened to the time that she was free of the egg completely, was about 48 hours. Good luck, fingers crossed for your little duckie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by