!!URGENT!! PLEASE HELP!!

shailey

Songster
5 Years
Sep 11, 2017
This will probably be long because I'm desperate for answers, this has been going on for an entire month. (started September 24.)
I've tried to post about this multiple times but the thread itself dies out and I end up getting no-where.
Please note a few things if you have ANY info on this!!
This is NOT spreading.
She has been dewormed, treated for CRD (Tylan soluble) given minerals, vitamins, hydro-hen (probiotics, electrolytes, acidifiers) vetRX (promotes respiratory health) and She's currently trying to molt.
She will not drink, and she struggles to eat.
She is a 3-year-old, barred rock. She is NOT laying.
Her crop is fine, but ill check again.

1) What type of bird, age, and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Barred rock, 3 years, she's very thin, I can't tell exactly how much she weighs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Gaping, head shaking, lethargy, trouble swallowing, rales, regurgitation

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
exactly 31 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other birds are sick.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She just started with mild lethargic and spiraled.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She won't drink, but I feed her watermelon, eggs, crumble, cantaloupe, golden nugget hen treats, and yogurt.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc
Her droppings look normal, a little greener than usual but normal, today she strained to poop, either blockage or not enough in her system.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Dewormed, tylan, vitamins, minerals.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to
treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you
can get to a vet?
I'll do whatever necessary.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I have videos of her struggling, which might be better.
I have videos I can link.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Mainly straw, which is treated for red mites/lice already.

I'll explain her symptoms in detail here;
First started with mild lethargy, she was eating and drinking fine. I was still worried, so I dewormed. She got worse over the days, but not at death's door. I brought her inside for a bit but she got upset so I brought her back out, watching her closely. After waiting for the tylan to ship, I gave it to her. But at that point, she wasn't drinking, and she didn't like the dropper. So I bought watermelons, chopped them up, soaked them overnight in tylan, and gave them to her. She seemed to improve a little but went right back to her previous state after, maybe she didn't get the proper dosage. I started by mushing the watermelon into little bits so she could eat it, but after a few pecks, she would pull back and swallow repeatedly, if she got a piece larger then the little bits I gave her, she would choke it back up/shake her head
she would hold her mouth open and up, I could see the food come back up. Her saliva is very thick, and when I tried to look in the back of her throat, I couldn't see past her mouth because of a saliva bubble. her mouth is clear, though. Often after gaping/eating, I could hear a gurgling sound. Just recently, she has declined, but I suspect it could be weather-related. (it went from 85, clear and sunny to 57 the next day) She is extremely weak, when I feed her watermelon she can barely get through it, I can feel it, but it gets stronger the more she eats. she also misses a lot, but after a bit, she gets a little better. She has been out and about today but you can very easily tell she's unwell. Please, anyone if you have any info or anything tips, ideas, anything please reply. In total, I've spent about 10 hours altogether watching this girl, I've pulled all-nighters trying to gather info and still haven't found anything thats helped. ( as for my location, I know it can sometimes help, near the coast in southeast texas.)

Yes, it could be respiratory, but watermelon is not going to sustain her. Will she eat wet feed? This is feeling critical to me. Personally, I would offer raw egg for quick energy to hopefully buy some time while I sorted out the illness. Can you bring her indoors for warmth? Also, if she is ten, her time, sadly, may be drawing near. If you want to try to keep her alive and well longer, I think an avian vet id your best bet.

Yes, it could be respiratory, but watermelon is not going to sustain her. Will she eat wet feed? This is feeling critical to me. Personally, I would offer raw egg for quick energy to hopefully buy some time while I sorted out the illness. Can you bring her indoors for warmth? Also, if she is ten, her time, sadly, may be drawing near. If you want to try to keep her alive and well longer, I think an avian vet id your best bet.
She's 3, according to the post.

What was the wormer you gave her?
How is her crop, squishy or hard? Is there a foul odor in her mouth?
I gave her safeguard liquid goat dewormer, her crop is completely empty, I could barely feel it, a little squishy but no odor.
At this point you need a vet, as you have already done most of what can be done by a non-medical person.
It sounds respiratory, at least in part.
I've been searching for a vet in my area who would look at her, and the only one who might is extremely inhumane (I've taken my cat and goose there and I was extremely disturbed with how they handled them.) and when I called them they refused to look/come out to look at her, saying I needed to cull her. Nevertheless, I'm still going to try and look.
It sounds like an impacted crop. Is the crop empty in the morning or full?
Her crop is empty.
She recently stopped taking anything, I'm going to try and feed her soaked food and probably bring her inside.

Back
Top Bottom