Urgent Please - Need to Know Gender

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Looks like no. 1 is definately a pullet, and no. 3 is definately a roo. No. 2 chick is 6:4 pullet-roo, so I guess there's still somewhat of a question mark over this little one.

Anyone else have an opinion, especially on no. 2 chick please??

I have noticed that no. 3 (cockerel) is the one with the stumpy, fluffy tail. No. 2's tail seems to me to be more like no. 1's. Guess I could just be wishing really hard that no. 2 is another pullet
sad.png

Thanks.
smile.png

My opinion doesn't mean much as, like I said in your intro thread, I have never had that breed and I even told you I thought they were all pullets. However, with better pictures I'd agree with #1 being a pullet & #3 being a cockerel, but #2 I going to guess is a pullet.
fl.gif
Did the place you bought them from give you any kind of opinion of what they were or did they just tell you they were straight run?

Last edited:
Hi again Wild Trapper,
Actually your opinion counts for a lot - you've at least raised chickens, this is a first time for me. I am as green as they come!

Thanks for your input.

At the shop I asked for all pullets, and so they thought these all were pullets, although they did stipulate that they could never be 100% sure.

I had to accept taking my chances and just hoping for the best. I'm happy that I do have a roo, but one is more than enough.

The pictures are hard for me to conclude. I have raised this breed before and these are still pretty young. (Brahmas are slow developers.)

I would look closely at the hackles and the saddle feathers. If these are starting to grow in long and pointy, then you have a fella. They all 3 look pretty girly to me. They are also at the age where they should be trying to crow if you have any cockerels in the bunch.

Last edited:
Hi Phasian

Chick no. 3 makes a funny noise sometimes. I can't decided if it's a sneeze or not. Would that be the kind of sound I'd be looking for? This chick is also the most laid-back of the three and doesn't bat a chicken eyelid at being picked up compared to the other two.

IMO 1 & 2 are pullets and #3 a roo. Keep an eye on them. If the comb (between eyes) and the waddles (under chin) start growing alot and turning red, they are roosters. I had 3 Buff Orphington pullets turn out to be roosters, and I specificly ordered/paid for pullets.

As you can see, visually detecting the gender of young chicken is an art, not a science. If it's really, really, really important to you to find out the gender of your birds right away, you could spring to have DNA testing done on each one, like they do with parrots. Otherwise, time will tell.

I gave away a d'Uccle at six weeks because I was absolutely positive it was a cockerel. It had a huge, red comb in comparison with two other d'Uccle chicks from the same clutch (who did in fact turn out to be pullets), and its comb looked just like the other two d'Uccles in that clutch that I pegged as boys. Guess what? Yup. It turned out to be a pullet. The other two that looked just like this one at that age were in fact roos. Go figure.

I had a little cockerel who was beginning to crow at 4 weeks (and chase the girls, too). I think he was a pretty early bloomer, though. The sound of a little cockerel trying to crow didn't sound like a sneeze; it sounded like a squeaky door hinge. If one of your chicks is sneezing more than occasionally, take a look and see if you can see crusty or goopy stuff on its eyes or nose. You might have the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom