Urgent! Purple comb and laboured breathing in 4 month pullet

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
She is a gorgeous Belgian D'Uccle. She is about the age to start laying. Her vent has been checked- it is open and wet so she must have laid and hidden it because I have not found a mini egg.
Yesterday I noticed her siting by herself (my flock of 40 regular sized hens free ranges) breathing slowly and noticeably. Her comb seemed almost purple. I know this is a sign of lack of oxygen. When I approached her, she ran away. She roosted no problem last night, and when I opened up the barn today and the flock flew out- she was still roosting.
I plucked her off the roost easily. She has her beak open wide, and her comb is 50-75% purple.
I have felt her throat, and crop (empty) and it feels ok.(?) Don't know what to do.
Please help. Its just me- no chicken vets here. I have also felt her abdomen and vent area. It all seems normal.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Any ideas what I can do? Have given her vitamins water and molasses and olive oil by mouth. she is drinking. She is very alert, her beak is still open. She is making no sounds at all. She moves around the cat carrier, and drinks on her own, her wings are held low, she "silently clucks" everytime she hears the hens outside, her body shakes like she is clucking and if I listen very carefully I can tell she is making that annoyed clucking sound, but there is no volume at all. Her beak is quite purple. She has been acting off for at least 24 hours. Separated her this morning as she did not come off roost when I opened the barn.

Last edited:
She is a gorgeous Belgian D'Uccle. She is about the age to start laying. Yesterday I noticed her siting by herself (my flock of 40 free ranges) breathing slowly and noticeably. Her comb seemed almost purple. I know this is a sign of lack of oxygen. When I approached she ran away. She roosted no problem last night, and when I opened up the barn today and the flock flew out- she was still roosting.
I plucked her off the roost easily. She has her beak open wide, and her comb is 50-75% purple.
I have felt her throat, and crop (empty) and it feels ok.(?) Don't know what to do.
Please help. Its just me- no chicken vets here.
Hey! Trying to respond ASAP, ; please give her some electrolytes if possible, make sure ntohing is stuck in her throat again and make sure she is comfortable. Try and take her to a vet and handle with care. Could it be a parisitic infection?

Hey! Trying to respond ASAP, ; please give her some electrolytes if possible, make sure ntohing is stuck in her throat again and make sure she is comfortable. Try and take her to a vet and handle with care. Could it be a parisitic infection?
Doubt the parasitic infection thing. Never had an issue with anything like that. No vet around here that looks at chickens, just me. She doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking, but have put vitamin water in with her, and separated her.

Doubt the parasitic infection thing. Never had an issue with anything like that. No vet around here that looks at chickens, just me. She doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking, but have put vitamin water in with her, and separated her.
Okay. Try to gently massage her throat and give her some water mixed with olive oil maybe? Any other symtoms? Coughing? Lethargy?

Okay. Try to gently massage her throat and give her some water mixed with olive oil maybe? Any other symtoms? Coughing? Lethargy?
yes lethargy. standing alone, puffing up her feathers. if you watch her you can see when she inhales and exhales it is very pronounced. I will check her abdomen and below her vent, and try and drip some olive oil into her mouth and massage it down.

yes lethargy. standing alone, puffing up her feathers. if you watch her you can see when she inhales and exhales it is very pronounced. I will check her abdomen and below her vent, and try and drip some olive oil into her mouth and massage it down.
Oh no, make sure she isnt stressed. That doesnt sound like stress symptoms at all, but try to calm her down so it doesnt get worse. Is it hot there?

To me it seems like she is suffering from a respiratory infection.
I am not a fan of using antibiotics without a proper diagnosis, but if not treated she most likely will not make it. I would start a 5 day course of Amoxicillin.

She has taken olive oil very well, and some water with vitamins and molasses in it. A very good patient. I have felt her abdomen and checked her vent. It is open and wet, so apparently she has been laying without my finding her egg.... probably just started as she is just coming of age. Dont know what else to do.

Oh no, make sure she isnt stressed. That doesnt sound like stress symptoms at all, but try to calm her down so it doesnt get worse. Is it hot there?
no its fall, so a bit chilly today, but I have her someplace nice. She is a very calm bird.

She has taken olive oil very well, and some water with vitamins and molasses in it. A very good patient. I have felt her abdomen and checked her vent. It is open and wet, so apparently she has been laying without my finding her egg.... probably just started as she is just coming of age. Dont know what else to do.
It sounds like she may be getting better, i wish her the best.

Back
Top Bottom