Urgent Sickness- Need Help!

EmmaKnight

Songster
5 Years
Mar 21, 2017
Hey all!
A few weeks ago I relocated my chickens to a new area with a new flock in foster care (waiting on my coop to be built). Anyways, my chickens endured a long drive and changes in weather. Once they arrived, I noticed my bantams face was swelled up. I made a post here and was told it was a respiratory thing and to give her tylan50. The foster mom of my flock administered it to all the chickens (including the bantam) who seemed sick with this respiratory illness. However, she has had 2 of her chickens die after receiving the tylan50. I am not sure what is going on and am worried about the other hens. Both hens seemed okay but suddenly passed. One hen looked like it was gasping for breath and elongating it’s neck to breath, but after getting the tylan50 it stopped, but then died a couple days later. She now has another hen who is doing the same breathing thing but didn’t do it before getting the tylan50 (I attached a photo
A318C551-F7F2-4BC5-B677-1FE2E3504194.jpeg
below). I’ve been reading online and I see things about gapeworms, but also that gapeworms are rare and symptoms are similar to a respiratory illness. So I am quite confused and looking for an answer as to what is going on. Any ideas out there?

Exactly how long did your chickens start getting sick after landing as foster mom's place? If it was around five to seven days, it's likely coccidiosis from exposure to new soil where there is a different strain of coccidia than the one they are resistant to. I would do Corid water and Corid drench for the sick ones.

Exactly how long did your chickens start getting sick after landing as foster mom's place? If it was around five to seven days, it's likely coccidiosis from exposure to new soil where there is a different strain of coccidia than the one they are resistant to. I would do Corid water and Corid drench for the sick ones.
I didn’t notice anything within that time period, but I noticed my chickens face was swollen on July 1st (dropped them off on June 18th). When I visited on June 25th, I didn’t notice anything unusual. The chickens that were breathing abnormally were not apart of my flock.

Breathing abnormally covers a lot. Stress can affect the way a chicken may hold their beak open and often resembles heat panting.

Swollen facial tissue can be from a respiratory infection or a sinus infection. I didn't mention it, but it's not necessary to treat chickens that have no symptoms as it is not the disease you are treating, but the symptoms.

The disease that causes the symptoms is dormant in the asymptomatic chickens as a respiratory disease will infect all chickens exposed to a symptomatic chicken. They usually carry it for life, but may never become symptomatic.

Did I manage to make that clear?

Breathing abnormally covers a lot. Stress can affect the way a chicken may hold their beak open and often resembles heat panting.

Swollen facial tissue can be from a respiratory infection or a sinus infection. I didn't mention it, but it's not necessary to treat chickens that have no symptoms as it is not the disease you are treating, but the symptoms.

The disease that causes the symptoms is dormant in the asymptomatic chickens as a respiratory disease will infect all chickens exposed to a symptomatic chicken. They usually carry it for life, but may never become symptomatic.

Did I manage to make that clear?
Yeah that makes sense.
The chickens with the puffy face are acting normal, just have swollen faces (it has gotten better with the tylan50 though)
The chickens that are breathing abnormally look like they are struggling to breathe: gasping and elongating the neck with each breath. One of them that was doing that passed, the other is still alive.

It can be simple to get a diagnosis of what respiratory disease is killing your chickens, by sending the body in to the state vet for a necropsy. How much Tylan and how often are you giving it? Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally 3 times daily for up to 5 days. Tylan is effective against mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease.

It can be simple to get a diagnosis of what respiratory disease is killing your chickens, by sending the body in to the state vet for a necropsy. How much Tylan and how often are you giving it? Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally 3 times daily for up to 5 days. Tylan is effective against mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease.
Yeah that’s how much we dosed the chickens. Everyone else is doing alright, if not, better than before the dosage started. There were just issues among 3 of them where 2 died and one looks like it’s struggling to breathe. One died unexpectedly, another looked sick and was struggling to breathe, then got better, and then died, and currently one looks like it’s struggling to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom