*URGENT* What to do? PICs included

You can treat with sulfadimethoxine soluble powder at .05% solution and when they recover they will be carriers of the disease for life. Infecting any other chickens you have. And is also transmitted through the egg.

Its so hard to cull. I use the hatchet method. Sorry to say. I have tried other ways trying to be more humane, but, so far for me the hatchet was fast and has worked good.

So sorry.

Speckled hen good about contacting state vet to find out more and aboutt disinfecting before bringing new chickens in.

I don't disagree with culling, but I did want to say that if you have 13 birds that all live together and there are that many showing signs of illness. It sounds to me like they've all been exposed.

If that's the case AND you do not plan to introduce any new chickens to the flock, then you might as well try to treat with the drugs listed above... and just know that you have carriers in your flock.

Just a thought. Otherwise, it sounds to me like you'll be faced with culling all of them, thoroughly disinfecting everything, and then starting over.
hit.gif

Edited to say:
I cross posted with tiki244 and she said all I wanted to with much more eloquence.

Last edited:
Quote:
I also have a silkie chick who is wheezing and won't open her eyes. And just noticed one of my EE's with bubbles in her eye.

The pus smells pretty bad.

What is the best way to do it? To end it I mean?

IMO, the best way to do it, which doesnt hurt the chicken ,is to chop they're heads off.

Thanks everyone...I'll call the extension office in the morning to find out what I should do as far as the cleaning goes. I can't believe this happened! I tell u what unless I hatch it or it comes from a hatchery I'm not buying birds from anyone again.

This is an excerpt from the Merck Vet manual. According to this Coryza is not an egg transmitted disease.

Chronically ill or healthy carrier birds are the reservoir of infection. Chickens of all ages are susceptible, but susceptibility increases with age. The incubation period is 1-3 days, and the disease duration is usually 2-3 wk. Under field conditions, the duration may be longer in the presence of concurrent diseases, eg, mycoplasmosis.
Infected flocks are a constant threat to uninfected flocks. Transmission is by direct contact, airborne droplets, and contamination of drinking water. “All-in/all-out” management has essentially eradicated infectious coryza from many commercial poultry establishments in the USA. Commercial farms that have multiple-age flocks tend to perpetuate the disease. Egg transmission does not occur. Molecular techniques such as restriction endonuclease analysis and ribotyping have been used to trace outbreaks of infectious coryza.

Back
Top Bottom