URGENT

Ahovis20

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2020
URGENT. I need help with my chick!! it had zipped and had its face and beak and part of 1 foot out for almost 2 hours, And he finally popped out like 15 minutes ago but his neck is all cricked and he acts like it hurts and it looks like he’s still attached to the egg. I looked it up to see if I could find out what was going on and Idk what to do. I positioned him into the bottom of his egg shell (that he’s still attached to) to hopefully let him absorb the rest of his yolk and be ok?? Idk what to do right now. Idk if I need to help or not. He’s chirping and moving but I’m scared that he’s gonna rip his little umbilical cord and not soak up the rest of the yolk and die. Idk what to do. HELP PLEASE

URGENT. I need help with my chick!! it had zipped and had its face and beak and part of 1 foot out for almost 2 hours, And he finally popped out like 15 minutes ago but his neck is all cricked and he acts like it hurts and it looks like he’s still attached to the egg. I looked it up to see if I could find out what was going on and Idk what to do. I positioned him into the bottom of his egg shell (that he’s still attached to) to hopefully let him absorb the rest of his yolk and be ok?? Idk what to do right now. Idk if I need to help or not. He’s chirping and moving but I’m scared that he’s gonna rip his little umbilical cord and not soak up the rest of the yolk and die. Idk what to do. HELP PLEASE
53F4AB7C-09C9-4A97-9C51-6715B0ECE5A6.png

If it’s that wiggly and won’t stay in the shell itself. Put it in a cup or bowl small enough for the shell and chick to fit just tall enough so it can’t push out... wait about two hours it should have the yolk absorbed by then if not put it back in.... but so far you have done all you can...

If it’s that wiggly and won’t stay in the shell itself. Put it in a cup or bowl small enough for the shell and chick to fit just tall enough so it can’t push out... wait about two hours it should have the yolk absorbed by then if not put it back in.... but so far you have done all you can...
Ok!

My experience is that a healthy, strong chick will continue absorbing the yolk, even outside the shell. It doesn't sound like your boy is, though.

If there's a significant amount of yolk, his chances aren't good. If there's not, I might try smearing it with antibiotic ointment, and pushing it in, then supergluing the opening shut. I've done that once, and it worked well, though it was a two-person job (one person to hold the chick, the other to barely dab the superglue.)

Back
Top Bottom