1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgently need help before it's too late!**IT IS SOUR CROP**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Dec 20, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    This is the 3rd time i've posted for this pullet and still she is not well, i fear if i don't get to the bottom of whats wrong with her i will loose her soon.
    Would of liked to add my last post about her but don't know how to.

I now think she might have impacted crop, How do i check for sure, what are the signs and symptoms?
    I noticed this morning her crop looks very big, she is standing very upright and her comb seems smaller and is flopping over to 1 side.
    Would she keep eating if her crop is impacted? she is eating loads.
    I did manage to catch her on sunday and feel her crop, it felt soft and i did not feel any hard lumps, it was quite soft and pliable.
    She has been doing this, pulling her head up and wiggling her neck round and then she drops her head and neck back down, she has been doing this for over a week now. I posted a video in my last post and some one said it's like she is adjusting her crop, she is now doing this constantly.
    How long do i have to sort her out if it is an impact? She has been like this for over a week and it is getting worse by the day, really don't want to loose her, please help!

UPDATE I caught her and bought her in, while in my arms she was a little sick, it was watery, her crop feels watery. What shall i do?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The only help I can give you is what I have done in a similar situation with impacted crop.

Give her some olive oil and then massage the crop regularly. Keep her isolated and giver her mash to eat.

Good luck.

BTW... lots of hens (and roos) have combs that flop over and that isn't always a sign of sickness.

When it comes to combs, usually it's the color that matters when determining health.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    When is the last time you wormed the hen?

4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I started with wormer 3 days ago.
    Got her on my lap now, have given her a suringe full of olive oil and i'm massaging her crop, it feels really soft and watery?? it feels full of liquid, is that normal?

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You said pullet, her comb may be flopping because she is getting ready to lay?
    Sometimes, a crop may lose muscle tone, they make crop bras for that.
    They get all floppy, and they need to keep readjusting to this thing hanging off their breast.
    It seem you are doing everything you can....
    I would limit the amount of feed for a while, to see if that's not what is going on.
    Maybe another something to look up in the emergencies section?
    Good luck with her.

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Quote:She is about 25-28 weeks old and has been laying for about a month now. Her comb has been bright red and upright but the last few days i've noticed its slightly shriveld up, paler and flopping over to one side.
    She was a little sick,( watery) when i bought her in earlier and i've just seen her be sick in the garden.
    What could this mean??

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    If the crop hasn't emptied by morning and is full and hard then it's impacted. If it's squishy and there is a bad smell coming from her mouth then it's sour crop. I would try very carefully to turn her upside down and massage the gunk out. You need to be very careful not to let her aspirate on the stuff coming out. You may need to do this a couple times a day for a few days until it's clear.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What breed is she? Not all breeds have erect combs, there are many that flop over and are supposed to.

Sounds more like sour crop than impacted.

If she eats anything besides layer feed make sure she gets adult size granite grit. Also, try some plain full fat yogurt.
    ETA: and I would limit her food intake some till it clears.

9. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    She is a blue marans.
    Would sour crop feel watery and squishy and would it make her be sick? i checked her crop this morning when i let her out and it was full and squishy then, it felt watery and i'm sure i could hear the liquid in it, i can only feel a few grains low down in her crop.

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have two black copper Marans hens and both their combs are floppy. Smell around her mouth. If it's sour, you will smell it. As Chickencanoe said, some plain yogurt might help. I wouldn't give oil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by