urgently need help,what is wrong with my silkie chick????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poppet, Dec 5, 2010.

1. poppet

poppet New Egg

Sep 5, 2009
    i have a 2 week old silkie chick,up untill now the chick has been fine,but 2 days ago i noticed she couldnt keep her neck up(almost like it was broken)and when she trys to walk she goes everywhere backwards,the bird is unable to keep her head up unless i hold it up for her,i have not had this problem with any other chicks i have reared and find it totally bizarre,i have4 seperated her off from the rest of the chicks,she cant drink or eat on her own i have to feed hand,i did notice her breast bone was quite prounanced is this normal in chicks,any info would be greatly appreciated,shes the only silkie chick i have and i dont want to have to cull her if possible,[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please PM Bat Cave Silkies with this problem

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Sounds like wry neck. Try a search on that term on this board and also on youtube, as there are a lot of videos there, especially of silkies. From what i've read it can be cured with vitamin E and selenium.

Here is one of the youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS64ne2boQ0

It
    looks like prednisone can also help, but that would need to be prescribed by a vet.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Wry Neck, A good poultry vitamin or poly vi sol children liquid vitamin and Vitamin E gel caps, pierced open and dribbled in beak..( I am also experimenting with a Vitamin E & Selenium gel paste for goats.. )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by