URI & Mites & Molting

KFoy

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
Hi all. My hens are surely having it rough. They had a very hard molt. We noticed mites and treated with a permethrin premise spray in coops and let it dry and then added fresh bedding. We dusted all hens. Now we have some sneezing & coughing ( I’m sure due to the dusting) we would be doing a second treatment for mites 7 days later which would be this Saturday. I’m so fed up with the mites still in the coops. I ordered Elector PSP. My questions is... antibiotics in water now? And use the elector Saturday? Should I be spraying everything in their area like the ground as well? They free range in my small backyard. My husband suggested leaving them in their pen for the week after they are treated. I just wanted your thoughts. All are acting well, except for the occasional sneezing & cough. Thanks all!

Can you get a video of their sneezing?
How often are they sneezing?

Do you have plenty of ventilation in your coop? Photos of your set up would be good.

Not sure if you need antibiotics...if it's due to your dusting them, make sure there's plenty of fresh air.

Hi! Plenty of ventilation. One started making a gurgling sound this am. So, Antibiotics was started. We will just use the elector this Sat. This weather & molting can’t be helping anyone.

Hi! Plenty of ventilation. One started making a gurgling sound this am. So, Antibiotics was started. We will just use the elector this Sat. This weather & molting can’t be helping anyone.
How long have you had these hens?
Have you added new birds within the last 30 days?
I would check to make sure their crops are emptying overnight.

Gurgling - interesting. Can you get a video of that? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

What antibiotic and dose are you giving?
Any mucous from the nostrils, lesions inside the beaks, watery eyes, facial swelling, etc., in addition to the sneezing and gurgling?

Back
Top Bottom