US about to ban organic farming

For those who don't know how this all started. It was w/Pioneer when they were allowed to patent genes in wheat in the 80's. I'm not trying to defend any company in AG (waste of time) but these exaggerations are not helping the problems.

It's a bit hypocritical w/us in America w/full bellies to stop advancements. Average yields in USA have increased w/largest increases in the last 6 years. Last year was the first time in recent history that the world ate more grain than the world produced.

Personally, I'd outlaw all advancements and let the non-ag people pay whatever the price of food had to be. Expect about 50% of your income to go to food. America has never known hunger as Europe, Asia, or Africa for even in the depression there were food lines.

Quote:
just thought of this if there going to ban organic farming what about chicken farming!!!!!!! that would be really bad for us here on BYC I say we
rant.gif
to congress and the senate and tell them that this is unexceptable!!

I just emailed both of my Senators here in Illinois. You know what makes me so angry, this peanut outbreak of salmonella wasn't caused by a dirty organic farmer. It was caused by plain old corporate greed, and the GALL of that company in Georgia to send it out to school food programs for the poor was more than I could hardly stand, I worked in a school cafeteria for 16 years, and the kids that were on the free food program had as much right to the good food as the kid who could afford to pay, this was just a gross misjustice of power. AND, where were the people that was suppose to safeguard this food, and prevent it from being sent out??? If we want to grow organic food, then we should be able to grow and market it as we see fit. There isn't one person out there growing organic food who would knowingly sell something that would make someone sick . . its common respect and love for their fellow man . . .but let a corp. get involved and you have trouble. This countries agricultural beginnings started with organic farming, and now they want to outlaw it????? I don't know all the details, but what I do know isn't good. We are losing more and more individual power every day, and its scary to think where this is all going to end . . .sorry, I just get on my soap box about stuff like this!!!!! Then, the gov. wonders why people lie, cheat, and hide facts from them!!
rant.gif
somad.gif

I think i found the section in the bill here it is ( it is hr 875 sub section 206 c 2, 3, 4, and 5 ):

SEC. 206. FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITIES.

(a) Authorities- In carrying out the duties of the Administrator and the purposes of this Act, the Administrator shall have the authority, with respect to food production facilities, to--

(1) visit and inspect food production facilities in the United States and in foreign countries to determine if they are operating in compliance with the requirements of the food safety law;

(2) review food safety records as required to be kept by the Administrator under section 210 and for other food safety purposes;

(3) set good practice standards to protect the public and animal health and promote food safety;

(4) conduct monitoring and surveillance of animals, plants, products, or the environment, as appropriate; and

(5) collect and maintain information relevant to public health and farm practices.

(b) Inspection of Records- A food production facility shall permit the Administrator upon presentation of appropriate credentials and at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner, to have access to and ability to copy all records maintained by or on behalf of such food production establishment in any format (including paper or electronic) and at any location, that are necessary to assist the Administrator--

(1) to determine whether the food is contaminated, adulterated, or otherwise not in compliance with the food safety law; or

(2) to track the food in commerce.

(c) Regulations- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator, in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture and representatives of State departments of agriculture, shall promulgate regulations to establish science-based minimum standards for the safe production of food by food production facilities. Such regulations shall--

(1) consider all relevant hazards, including those occurring naturally, and those that may be unintentionally or intentionally introduced;

(2) require each food production facility to have a written food safety plan that describes the likely hazards and preventive controls implemented to address those hazards;

(3) include, with respect to growing, harvesting, sorting, and storage operations, minimum standards related to fertilizer use, nutrients, hygiene, packaging, temperature controls, animal encroachment, and water;

(4) include, with respect to animals raised for food, minimum standards related to the animal’s health, feed, and environment which bear on the safety of food for human consumption;

(5) provide a reasonable period of time for compliance, taking into account the needs of small businesses for additional time to comply;

(6) provide for coordination of education and enforcement activities by State and local officials, as designated by the Governors of the respective States; and

(7) include a description of the variance process under subsection (d) and the types of permissible variances which the Administrator may grant under such process.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/organic.asp

Here is a link that gives some factual information about this proposed bill. My young daughter is immuno-compromised, and is especially at risk for pathogens or contaminants that enter through food/water supplies, due to having lost a large portion of her intestines as a newborn. I just read through this proposed bill, and was glad to see that focus appeared to be more on trying to keep the food supply safer, especially imported food (Hello, China!), and less on trying to force organics and small farms out of business. There was no mention of the backyard vegetable grower at all. I may keep chickens, ducks, and goats illegally in my backyard, but I don't have to worry about anyone turning me in for my tomatoes and cukes this year!
wink.png

I just read through the whole bill. The only section that applies to farmers is the section that Bantam just posted.

No section on banning organic farming. No section demanding we have to use altered seeds, irradiated products, chemical fertilizers or nutrients etc.

Just that we have to have a plan that shows how we are keeping our food from being contaminated. Are we sterilizing our compost before we use it etc? Our the animals on our farm free range to leave their droppings in our carrots and potatoes, on the cabbage leaves? Or are they contained?

What treatments do we give our animals? Are we registered? Do we keep biosecure? Do we keep records of where they were bought and sold? Of illnesses, and if animals were put down because of them?

I don't know about y'all but I am already voluntarily registered with NAIS and waiting for my scabies tags for my goats. I purchase only organic meat and veggies, but I am also concerned about where our food is coming from and going to in this country.

So if I can help out by simply having a plan written out on how I'm keeping my hen house done because I'ms selling my eggs? I'll do it.

There was nothing in that bill that said I had to keep anything on my kitchen garden. As long as those veggies are for me, I'm not a veggie producer.

Laney

My FIL has an organic dairy farm and he was saying the other day that they aren't accepting any new farmers for our area but are going to keep the ones that are in it right now. Said they were accepting some for Watertown, NY and south. I'll have to keep an eye out on it cause he barely made it by when he wasn't organic and now is just starting to catch up.

bantam, thanks for posting the relevant part of the bill.

For those that don't understand this bill will put the cheap central and south American produce at risk--and should. They use chemicals that have been banned in the USA for decades with no regulations as to how much or when they are applied.

Back
Top Bottom