USDA

It's no one's fault that one child's parents can make them lunch while another's cannot or will not. If this causes jealousy, it's not the fault of the child with the homemade lunch. Are you placing blame on the parents who make their children's lunch? Should we take away all homemade lunches because the children get jealous? And since you're the one who brought up something that could be considered off-topic, (a cellphone in class), I'll throw this in: I get jealous when I see a Mercedes rolls down the street. Should we take it away so that I'm not jealous? Perhaps the child who gets homemade lunch is jealous of the FREE lunch that others are given? This isn't an issue with jealousy; this isn't about cellphones. There was no cellphone made mention in the article at all. Most middle and high schools allow cellphones, but only requite that they be off in case of a true emergency. If you have a problem with the policies regarding cellphones, that's fine, you're entitled to it, but you need to start a new thread.

This issue is about a lunch a mother made for her child that was considered nutritious by her, myself and many others; more nutritious than processed, deep-fried, frozen and then re-heated chicken nuggets. Here's a little idea of how those are made:

Obviously, the taking of food from a child is a horrible deal, and the power trip this federal agent was on is appalling.

The part that really disgusts me is that someone from the United States Department of Agriculture, the federal program in charge of nutrition at public schools and making sure that children eat right to avoid a lifetime of chronic disease due to diabetes and obesity, consider a processed and re-claimed meat patty to be more nutritious than a turkey breast sandwich. These people are making policies regarding what to feed our children, how to teach them about food, and what food they have to choose from. Clearly, as based on his opinion that chicken nuggets are a healthier option, they don't know healthy. Yet they alone decide what food is available to children in their learning environment. And now, not even a home-packed lunch is safe..

The only reason I talked about phones was because someone said it was private property. The nutritionist didn't say it was more nutritious they just said the lunch didn't cover everything. A school can't sell one item of a lunch to someone either they have to sell everything. In the policy it also said that if a student in Pre-k programs didn't have all the requirements of a lunch the school would provide it for them. She most likely signed something saying she agreed to it too.

This has came up before. The school is required to feed kids by what the USDA says. That only applies to lunch bought there. If the kid brings his own food the school has no authority to intervene.

Also what is in a kids lunch (or pocket for that matter) is protected under the forth amendment. There is no age requirement to the 4th nor do you sign your 4th amendment rights away by entering a school.

I teacher that searches a child or child's lunch for contraband has broken federal law.

Could be also be debated that sack lunch is protected by the 1st amendment under religious grounds.

Certain parts of your first amendment right is suspended while in public school.

Last edited:
Certain parts of your first amendment right is suspended while in public school.

Which certain parts are you referring too?
hu.gif

The only reason I talked about phones was because someone said it was private property. The nutritionist didn't say it was more nutritious they just said the lunch didn't cover everything. A school can't sell one item of a lunch to someone either they have to sell everything. In the policy it also said that if a student in Pre-k programs didn't have all the requirements of a lunch the school would provide it for them. She most likely signed something saying she agreed to it too.

Are you a government official with all of this assuming?

Are you a government official with all of this assuming?

What part?

freedom of speech is limited during school. I am not a government official. The signing the sheet that talks about the lunch is based off of the fact that when I was in Kindergarten my mom signed a form saying if lunch from home did not have all the servings that the FDA wanted at lunch they would force you to buy one and you also had to walk through the lunch line even if you weren't buying anything and already had a lunch.

Last edited:
freedom of speech is limited during school. I am not a government official. The signing the sheet that talks about the lunch is based off of the fact that when I was in Kindergarten my mom signed a form saying if lunch from home did not have all the servings that the FDA wanted at lunch they would force you to buy one and you also had to walk through the lunch line even if you weren't buying anything and already had a lunch.

Does this make sense?

I never agreed with it, but that was the rules the school forced/ the government forced the school to do.

OK, glad to hear you don't agree, but very interested in what YOU think? Not what
the "officials" think! in regards to a four year old's lunch being taken away, because a
government official didn't like what he was eating for lunch.

Last edited:
OK, glad to hear you don't agree, but very interested in what YOU think? Not what
the "officials" think! in regards to a four year old's lunch being taken away, because a
government official didn't like what he was eating for lunch.

I also thought it was dumb that I was forced to drink skim milk. Wasn't allowed 2% because it was "unhealthy" and god forgive the mere mention of whole milk even though it only needs to be at least 3% to be considered whole..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom