1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

use a egg carton for lock down ???????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger455, Aug 19, 2010.

1. digger455

digger455 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Did I get right info. that I should use egg carton when I take turner out for lock down?? If so should I leave eggs small end down?? One more day to lock down.

Digger

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It's a personal preference. Some people swear by it, others prefer to lay them on their sides on the bottom of the incubator. No harm in trying it and seeing if it works for you. And yes, they should still be pointy end down. Good luck.

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I leave mine in the egg carton and yes small end down [​IMG] Good luck I also trim the sides down with scissors

4. Celiandy

Celiandy Songster

Jul 2, 2010
    Port Angeles
    What kind of egg carton do you use? Or does it not matter? I'm thinking of doing it because the hatched chicks roll around the eggs so much, it seems like it would be nice for them to be kind of secure.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I had 11 eggs in my incubator in a carton this morning. Day 21 and so far no complaints! I've had two hatch and another three pipped. One I had to reach in quickly to remove because I had noticed a crack developing the other day and I smelled something earlier. Rotten egg but I got my humidity back up and all is well...lots of cheeps! Will definitely try this method again next time.

6. mama2many

mama2many Chirping

Jun 20, 2010
    I have an incubator on loan from a friend and this is my first hatch. What do you do with a bator that places the eggs on the side and slowly rolls them. Only one plug so can't unplug the rollie thing. It turns VERY slow, supposted to mimick mama hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: