Use antibiotics and get poisoned eggs and hens!

No one is fighting, but never trust third hand knowledge if you can go to the source. So a vet said 'X' , but not to you, to someone else? That is the way bad information spreads. Ever play telephone as a kid? Ask the vet yourself, and I bet they won't repeat that, and would be appalled that some one thinks they did and/or was passing around the information to the general public. That sort of bad information could/would get Farad, the licensing board as well as USDA/FDA all excited.
jess

try to go to the source
Quote:

As for the Terramycin....right on the pkg. for residue warning, it states for chickens....do not administer to turkeys or chickens producing egg for human consumption. It also states that you should not administer to turkeys, cattle or sheep within 5 days of slaughter, & a zero day slaughter withdrawl for swine. So that tells me that the there is an infinitive residue for chickens. It must go directly to the eggs then. That is how I understand it. ????????

You are right I am sure....but you'd think they would at least tell you the withdrawl time like all the other animals.
wink.png

Antibiotics are used much too freely in this country in treating both animals & humans. The result of which is far more dangerous than residue in eggs.
We are creating "super bugs" thank can't be killed by antibiotics at all.
The indiscriminate use of antibiotics recommended by many on this site is particularly alarming. People freely recommend the use of various situations where they have no ides what organism is causing the perceived illness. Not every antibiotic is effective against every bacteria. No antibiotic is effective against a virus.
A problem with people taking antibiotics is stopping before completing the course of treatment. The thinking being "my symptoms are gone, I must be well". The problem here being that this practice may leave behind organisms that are learning to be immune to the antibiotic in question. It works the same way in animal health.
Myself, I do not treat poultry with antibiotics for a variety of reasons. On the other hand I don't seem to have the problems with disease that many here seem to be having. I believe that the best way to keep poultry healthy is to feed them well, provide them with pleanty of clean water, keep their environment clean, give them room to exercise and if you do have a sick bird cull it from your flock.

Quote:
I agree! It is not a cure all as believed when the first penicillin was discovered. I too have not used an antibiotic for anything and I have yet to deal with anything worse than cocci which is not bacterial. As of last year, it took about 6 months to develop a new antibiotic for humans, and to render it useless took about 2 months. If you use it, finish it!

Whoa! Everybody.... Think of this. If while dosing hen with antibiotic, a miniscule amount of antibiotic passes into egg then is eaten by person severely ALLERGIC to antibiotic...You put that person and yourself as the producer at risk!
That's what all the precautions are that are listed. CYA from the pharmaceutical company too.
Did you know if there is a symptom reported of 1 in 10,000 subjects while using a medicine it has to be listed as a side effect?
Many medications have half-lifes. Sure they may store as toxins in bone and organ tissue for the life of that bird but how much isn't already passed out or degraded over time.
Right now I am fighting Coryza and if I thought dunking my hens in 55 Gallon drums of somekind of med would cure them... I'd do it!
Once this flock is cured or killed ... I am starting a vaccination program on my little home flock. This has been a heartbreaking summer.
Perhaps a more important topic would be more accountable growers that sell to unsuspecting chicken keepers.

Quote:
Peeper, you've made a very good point, I think. I'm wondering a bit about the quality of the flock of seven gaping sneezers I got from a local place via a large hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom