Use doggy pee pads in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MandyFitch, Sep 7, 2013.

1. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    I have a left over box of doggy pee pads. They were too expensive to throw away so they just sit in a closet waiting to be used for something. Could I use those in the brooder for a while?

2. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    I'm sure other people will be appalled, but when my chicks outgrew their brooder, they had to live in the shower for a while. I couldn't use other bedding, so I went with puppy pads. The chickies scratched them around a bit, but they worked okay, and everyone made it out happy and healthy.

3. itgns

itgns Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central California
    oh gee, I sure hope using them is okay. I got some, too, because I'd read around that it was okay to use those. I have some aspen bedding, too, just in case. But I don't see why it would be bad if people use paper towels.

4. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    I've got some kiln dried pine shavings arriving today so I'm covered, too. But it seems like the pee pad should be fine. The have more texture than newspaper, maybe more than paper towels which I've been told to use for the first few days...

5. kbh82310

kbh82310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Nc
    I used pee pads on a batch of chicks. Works just like paper towels. They do scratch it up a little but clean up was easier than news paper or paper towels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by