use for cherry dessert topping type stuff?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So I had these cherries in the freezer since last summer and finally decided I needed the room. I don't honestly like cherries, was given them by a neighbor. I've been eating poorly-set jams as sundae topping on vanilla ice cream lately
tongue.png
so decided to make a deliberately softset topping using the cherries, a few odds and ends of redcurrants also laying around in the freezer, and of course a buncha sugar.

Unfortunately the result tastes like a cheap cherry pie. Which would probably be good if I liked cheap (or any) cherry pie, but alas I do not. Too sweet, too icky. *Tiny* amounts seem to be ok on chocolate icecream, but I need to find something to do with the rest of the stuff -- I have 2 half-pint jars in the fridge and more in the freezer (did not bother to process it, as I knew I'd never eat it if there was no time pressure
tongue.png
)

So, anyone have any ideas? I tried using a couple Tbsp instead of sugar last time I made bread, but it made the bread (whole wheat) a weird purpley color and DH objects. I need some way to use it that will at least somewhat disguise the cherry-pie-filling-ness of it all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

I make current jam and then in the winter I make corn bread muffins. My kids LOVE warm corn bread muffins with coolwhip and current jam on them. I think that cherries would taste just as good also.

I'd refreeze it till I got some tomatoes and make jelly. I've done tomato raspberry and tomato strawberry. It sounds weird but tasted good. Or maybe just mix it with other berries to mask the cherry flavor.

Here is a dessert that my family likes.

1 can of Cherry pie filling
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 8 oz. container of cool whip
1 cup small marshmallows

Add all ingredients together in a bowl, mix well and chill. **Can be frozen and served as a frozen dessert too.

When I make it I usually double it, so there is plenty to last a few days.

Christie
big_smile.png

Black forest chocolate cake

I take a dark or rich chocolate cake mix, mix it up as per the directions and add the pie filling and chocolate chips........same thing with fudge brownies, maybe a cup of the filling. Now im hungry...

Back
Top Bottom