use for cherry dessert topping type stuff?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by patandchickens, Apr 4, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So I had these cherries in the freezer since last summer and finally decided I needed the room. I don't honestly like cherries, was given them by a neighbor. I've been eating poorly-set jams as sundae topping on vanilla ice cream lately [​IMG] so decided to make a deliberately softset topping using the cherries, a few odds and ends of redcurrants also laying around in the freezer, and of course a buncha sugar.

Unfortunately the result tastes like a cheap cherry pie. Which would probably be good if I liked cheap (or any) cherry pie, but alas I do not. Too sweet, too icky. *Tiny* amounts seem to be ok on chocolate icecream, but I need to find something to do with the rest of the stuff -- I have 2 half-pint jars in the fridge and more in the freezer (did not bother to process it, as I knew I'd never eat it if there was no time pressure [​IMG])

So, anyone have any ideas? I tried using a couple Tbsp instead of sugar last time I made bread, but it made the bread (whole wheat) a weird purpley color and DH objects. I need some way to use it that will at least somewhat disguise the cherry-pie-filling-ness of it all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    chocolate cheesecake!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Homemade yogurt topping is out I bet LOL

How about a black forest style cake?

4. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    I make current jam and then in the winter I make corn bread muffins. My kids LOVE warm corn bread muffins with coolwhip and current jam on them. I think that cherries would taste just as good also.

5. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd refreeze it till I got some tomatoes and make jelly. I've done tomato raspberry and tomato strawberry. It sounds weird but tasted good. Or maybe just mix it with other berries to mask the cherry flavor.

6. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    what about some lemon juice to cut back on the sweet?

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Cherries jubilee over ice cream or in crepes. Booze, orange or lemon zest and maybe some cinnamon.

8. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Here is a dessert that my family likes.

1 can of Cherry pie filling
    1 can of sweetened condensed milk
    1 8 oz. container of cool whip
    1 cup small marshmallows

Add all ingredients together in a bowl, mix well and chill. **Can be frozen and served as a frozen dessert too.

When I make it I usually double it, so there is plenty to last a few days.

Christie [​IMG]

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Black forest chocolate cake

I take a dark or rich chocolate cake mix, mix it up as per the directions and add the pie filling and chocolate chips........same thing with fudge brownies, maybe a cup of the filling. Now im hungry...

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Quote:someone at church makes this and adds walnuts i think....mmmmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by