use up egg yolks?

cookinmom

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Saint George GA
I made an angel food cake the other day, and it called for 2 cups of egg whites. That took 16 of my somewhat smallish eggs. So now I have 16 egg yolks floating in a container of milk. Got any good recipes that call for yolks and not whites? Guess I could make hubby some chocolate pudding to use up a few.

Or more generally, custard-type things. I recommend Key Lime Pie if you can get bottled key lime juice, or <other kind of citrus juice> pie if you can't
smile.png

5 egg yolks, beaten somewhat
1 can sweetened condensed milk <- mix w/yolks
1/2+ cup Key Lime juice <-stir like heck to mix w/above
pour into prepared pie shell, graham cracker crust one is fine
bake 350 F for something like 20-25 min til just set in center
cool
WAIT TIL NEXT DAY TO EAT, I promise that makes it even better.

Pat

Egg noodles are good for yolks, too.

I usually use about 2c flour, 2tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 4 - 5 egg yolks, 3/4 cup milk (enough to get the consistency of the dough right).

When mixed, I roll it out and cut it into noodles. The texture is better (I think) if they dry for an hour or two before you drop them into simmering soup or gravy to cook.

Yummy!

Mix 1 yolk with 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 2 tbsp. liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronner's), 1/2 c. herbal tea, blend until smooth and use for shampoo. Or mix 1 tsp. honey with 2 tbsp. olive oil, then beat in 1 yolk, and use like a conditioning treatment on your hair: goop it onto your ends, wrap the sticky mess in a shower cap, and leave on for 30 minutes. Then rinse out and shampoo as usual.

Works pretty well, I don't have many split ends anymore.

Cookinmom, you can make lemon curd. It makes a nice topping for pound cake, or even angel food cake. I've even frozen it, taken it out later and whipped some heavy cream into it and served it over cake slices.

This recipe is from Alton Brown's Good Eats show:
Lemon Curd
Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom