Used coop opinions

Ons3Saam

Chirping
Feb 22, 2022
G'day mates.

I know people have differing opinions on this contentious issue. This is asking for all those opinions regardless if they're pro or con.

I just collected a used small coop to use as backup if these two hens of mine start an argy bargy when the chicks start moving about. If you didn't see my introduction post, we have two hens sitting on 20 eggs. First chick was seen yesterday. One hen sat on all the eggs for 18 days even though about half the eggs belong to the other hen. The second hen joined her a few days before they started hatching so now both are in their trance states. They're in a 1.8m x 1.8m coop with attached 2m run with the rooster.

I got the smaller coop from the same closing down sale I got the parents from 5 weeks ago. My thinking is if the new (old) coop has any germs, the parents probably have those germs already as they're also from there.

I sprayed it with vinegar and dishwashing liquid and then hosed it down. I'm going to cover the wire mesh floor with soil and compost and put straw in the closed box section.

I really feel that the fact that it's all from the same breeder means it shouldn't be an issue.

How do you guys feel about used coops and my cleaning regime and reasoning?

Have an amazing day,
Ons3Saam

Attachments

• 20220223_104844.jpg
    20220223_104844.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220223-082123_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220223-082123_WhatsApp.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 3
You didn't actually buy that did you?

It looks like a shabby partially covered run. If your planning to keep it for a long while, consider staining or painting it to preserve the wood from the environment.

Since it looks like a basic construction, you can expand it to make it bigger or add an actual coop to it.

You didn't actually buy that did you?

It looks like a shabby partially covered run. If your planning to keep it for a long while, consider staining or painting it to preserve the wood from the environment.

Since it looks like a basic construction, you can expand it to make it bigger or add an actual coop to it.
G'day mate.

Like the post says, it's a temporary solution for a sudden problem. If we even need it, it will be for a few weeks tops. The moment the chicks don't need mom's heat any more, they're off to the chicken tractor in the paddock to fatten up.

I checked the price of materials and at the current inflated prices due to the pandemic and supply chain issues, it would have cost more to build this. So yes, I bought it. Here in Australia that's what these things cost. I needed it and I bought it.

We're a bit off topic here but thanks for the input.

Have a wonderful day further,
Ons3Saam

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

I think that your reasoning is sound and that what you've got there is a nice solution to your problem. (If you hang around here much you'll see that I'm a great fan of open-air coops for any climate that doesn't get extreme winters).

If you find that rain gets into the sheltered end either a tarp or a chunk of scrap roofing over all or part of the roof should do the trick. :) Like what I had for my integration pen last summer:

1645625462449.png

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters. :)

I think that your reasoning is sound and that what you've got there is a nice solution to your problem. (If you hang around here much you'll see that I'm a great fan of open-air coops for any climate that doesn't get extreme winters).

If you find that rain gets into the sheltered end either a tarp or a chunk of scrap roofing over all or part of the roof should do the trick. :) Like what I had for my integration pen last summer:

View attachment 3002520
G'day mate.

We're in the south of Australia so no snow. It gets quite cold but only in a few months and by then the chicks would be feathered and not in this new coop anymore (by then they'll be in a much colder box already but I don't know how loud I can say things like that around here).

Cheers for the photo of your integration coop. Looks like it does the job.

Have a wonderful day,
Ons3Saam

(by then they'll be in a much colder box already but I don't know how loud I can say things like that around here).

There's a meat bird section of the forums. :)

Now and then there is some friction, but mostly the pet owners and livestock owners here at BYC manage to live in mutual respect.

Back
Top Bottom