useful farm animals

Quote:
The breeding sheep flock I had for 4-H apparently didn't get that memo. I had to have 5 strands of electric to keep them in.
lol.png

Quote:
My mum was telling me earlier how she grew up on a farm, and her father would catch rabbits, slaughter, and drain them in the bathtub! .. I don't think I'd have a bath in there ever again LOL... but Rabbit is good, yum yum.

IMO, I don't think goats should be ever used for meat. A dog should go for meat before a goat, they are the coolest animals ever. And they don't stink whatsoever. Our chickens, dogs, and cats stink MUCH worse. I hate the smell of an outdoor dog. We are getting a 2 month old registered splashed alpine buckling with top bloodlines next week. I am soooo excited. I have been around bucks before and I find the smell of coop cleaning 1000 times worse. We rented a buck last year, and when we went to take him back, we put him in our horse trailer pulled by our truck. Well, the truck was giving us major problems on our way there [which btw cost over $900 to fix], so I had to stand outside the auto shop with a buck in hand for a half hour till my mom got the van, then we had to drive an hour with the buck in our van. But he is the most well mannered buck ever. If you want the best pets ever, go with a few goats. We are even teaching one of ours to pull a goat cart, which she will pull me in the county fair this August.
tongue.png
But if you want something for meat go with a beef steer or hair sheep.

Quote:
that thud dude on ur post made me laugh! thats hillarious!

i currently own goats, and have raised and bred them for years. ony billy goats smell. (male goat with his man hood)

females that arent around billys and castrated goats (wethers) dont stink at all

however, with my love, knowledge, and compassion for goats,, i prob wouldnt reccommend them...
i know that sounds weird.. i have 9 acres.. horses, chickens,, pigeons, etc, anywase, i had 32 goats and i am down now to 4 pet goats. i got out of the goat business.. ever since i got into chickens. the chickens actually do something in return. and i can make more off of them. and once these four i have are dead. i prob wont get anymore. (two of my goats are 13 years old!)

anywase, goats get into EVERYTHING they are always hungry..very glutten.. and no, i dont starve them. they are fed purina goat food twice a day, and on alot of acreage. they are obese! they are awful to keep with chickens,, they get into the coop, squeeze into it. i cant leave food out for the chickens. i cant forgot to lock something with food in it,, i cant do anything properly with the goats.. i can t have a garden, or anything.
and mine are so spoiled,, they dont really eat any more weeds than my chickens do. they wont even touch the grass.

so i dont reccomend goats. even though i have them. and take mine to church plays, and parks, and one of them even rides in the truck with me...

get a miniture dairy cow.

Chick_a_dee makes you think twice about having a bath huh. I spoke to my Grandfather in Aussie last night and he was telling me that when he was a kid (Pre WWII) his Mum would buy half a rabbit. His share was the half the head! He did go on to tell me that rabbit pie was wonderful.

I think goats are the best. Our kids excape, but they just go to the horse pasture, and come right back. Very intelligent. One of mine shakes hands, it is very cute, we show it to everyone who goes to our goat barn. I taught her in a half hour.

Quote:
Really? What kind of sheep do you have? I have hair sheep..most kats..and they stay in a couple strands of hotwire. I have a couple barbados crosses that probably wouldnt stay in as easily if they werent staying with the rest of the flock. But ive never had sheep escape artists..my goats however...well they are a whole different story lol.

Quote:
Really? What kind of sheep do you have? I have hair sheep..most kats..and they stay in a couple strands of hotwire. I have a couple barbados crosses that probably wouldnt stay in as easily if they werent staying with the rest of the flock. But ive never had sheep escape artists..my goats however...well they are a whole different story lol.

I have Katahdins and Kat/Suffolk crosses. It is only one or two that are bad. My best Kat ewe, her 2 year old ram lamb and one Suffolk cross. *sigh* Shake the grain bucket and the Kats run back in. The Suffolks are to stupid. lol.

But overall they are not bad. It's just the grass on the other side of the fence is better. Even if it is just one small bunch.

My goats just like getting their horns stuck in the fence and then look indignant when I push them out of it.

Back
Top Bottom