Uses for 5 gal home depot buckets

So if I were to make a horizontal nipple waterer for my chooks w/ a HD or Lowes bucket, it'll likely be all right? I agree w/ the concept of dosage and alarmism, and wondered where I was going to get "food safe" containers for this.
Sometimes a #2 plastic bucket (or whatever plastic) might not be labeled food grade because it either has an additive that doesn't qualify as food safe either because it isn't safe or because it hasn't been tested.

Sometimes it isn't labeled food safe because the manufacturer doesn't guarantee it doesn't have unknown contaminants. Or can't prove/document that it doesn't anyway.

Sometimes it is pretty obvious it would be stupid to use a particular #2 plastic container for food or water. One example I have is a tube originally used to ship drill bits to a machine shop... I can see the swirls of color caused by plastic from different origins and some odd lumps that seem to be either a different kind of plastic or maybe not plastic at all.

I don't worry about storing food in lowes, home depot, tractor supply, meijer, menards buckets. I store dry things like oatmeal, rice, wheat, ect that I eat and feed my kids in them long term and wet things like maple sap in them short term. I might not in a hot environment.

But I also paid a dollar or two more per bucket to get food grade 5 gallon buckets from Menards last month - the first time I've seen them for sale in a brick and mortar store. I can't get frosting buckets anymore - the stores around here changed their policy and will not give them away or sell them anymore.

I prefer non-plastic materials such as glass or stainless steel whenever possible. Eh, more accurately -when the price, weight, or breakage risk isn't too much greater. I don't think the plastic I use leaches much but it isn't as stable or as reusable or as recyclable or as safely degradable as glass or stainless steel. I don't like seeing all the plastic in dumps and landfills or worse places.

So I grew up collecting 5 gal buckets where they appeared, washed them, and used them for chores. I bought a couple home depot buckets for a spinach tower but until it is warmer I was using them to haul water for the ducks. Now I read that only food grade buckets can be used for plants, water, and feed because of toxins leaching from the plastic. Is this a real danger for growing plants or hauling water? I understand using food grade for a chicken waterer with the cups since that water will stay there.
I think they have always had food grade buckets , bottles etc for the reasons you said, not sure tho. :)

So this has nothing to do with buckets but I didn't know where to put it and wanted to share the laugh. There were some cute calico princess chicks that I have never had and the Ducklings had outgrown the brooder anyway.... lol. It is 2 weeks before they can go out and the county next door just had a case of flu. So my sons old truck parts fit the bill. Pun intended! 🤣

Attachments

• 20220415_085534.jpg
    20220415_085534.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 6
Around where I live, Firehouse Subs sells 5 gal buckets with lids for $2.50 each. They are what their pickles come in so they are food grade but they do smell like pickles for a while. I use them for all kinds of stuff, they make great nest boxes. I put them through a hole in the wall and put a door in the bottom so I can gather eggs from outside, I also make a perch out of pvc pipe. I use them for water buckets with nipples in the bottom. I have also used them to brew beer and made a batch of moonshine mash in one.

Back
Top Bottom