Using a bullet instead of a hatchet?

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
I have read on several threads now people saying a bullet to the head was unsuccessful in killing a chicken, they have sited the "small brain" of the chicken as a reason. My question is for those that have had the problem have you caught the chicken and then shot it point blank in the head or shot from across the yard? The chickens brain may be small but it's still in the skull, bullets do periferal damage so it seems to me if you have the chicken restrained and shoot point blank that should do the job.

Other threads have said it is beneficial to pith the chicken prior to slitting it's throat (a knife to the brain) wouldn't a bullet to the brain be the same?

Anyone have a positive outcome shooting the chicken to kill it? If so exactly where do you shoot it?

I am asking b/c I have tried the hatchett and knife and disliked both, so am considering a bullet for next time, and would like to be as prepared as I can be for it.

You may dislike it, but truly, for me, the hatchet is the most humane way... and then they bleed out so nicely.

You can try if you can do it with one shot with one drop. If you miss your shot from the distance, then you have your meal flying out of your table.

If knives and hatchets bother you, try the broomstick method. Its quick and its done.

when butchering free ranged guineas- we use the .22. the first one, you can get about 10' from it, and when using a scope.. can shoot it right in the head. by the time you are to number 10-- you are slinging lead at it from a 1/4 mile away just hoping to hit it somewhere in the body.

depends on what kind of gun you would be planning to use--- most are way too powerful, have way too many pellets in the shot-- or will go through the bird, and mess up your facilities-- especially if you misss

I have tried slitting the throat...not as quick as they say it is IMHO. They do not pass out in "just a few seconds" as I have read that they should.
Broomstick method--fast and effective but seems a bit neanderthal.
Hatchet method-also fast and effective-easy to rationalize that the thrashing is happening after they are dead.
Bullet method-DH has shot a few renegade roos from across the yard with a .17 HMR rifle...good aim and they drop on the spot, normally we hold them and shoot point blank at the base of the skull towards their beak with a .22 long rifle pistol. They thrash and are dead.
I strive for as quick and efficient a death as possible--whatever seems easiest on the animal-not necessarily easiest for me. Sometimes I wish they just had an "off" switch...instant death...most of the time we shoot them now, just seems fastest and most efficient.

I had a rooster I hated. Awful bird. I had ever intention of using a hatchet...got everything ready. Apparently the bird knew what I had in mind as he chose that moment to RUN out of the barn into the woods. All of my birds are housed in cages in a closed barn.

Well, I wasn't chasing that bird through 15 acres of brush. I got out my BB gun, sited it on the back of his head and pulled the trigger. He never saw what was coming and I DON'T miss.

Bled him out in a bucket...he tasted awful. Little jerk...even in death I can't stand him.

I have tried slitting the throat...not as quick as they say it is IMHO. They do not pass out in "just a few seconds" as I have read that they should.
Broomstick method--fast and effective but seems a bit neanderthal.
Hatchet method-also fast and effective-easy to rationalize that the thrashing is happening after they are dead.
Bullet method-DH has shot a few renegade roos from across the yard with a .17 HMR rifle...good aim and they drop on the spot, normally we hold them and shoot point blank at the base of the skull towards their beak with a .22 long rifle pistol. They thrash and are dead.
I strive for as quick and efficient a death as possible--whatever seems easiest on the animal-not necessarily easiest for me. Sometimes I wish they just had an "off" switch...instant death...most of the time we shoot them now, just seems fastest and most efficient.

Thanks for the detail. That is what I was planning on for gun and I was planning on restrained and point blank "execution" style shot.

I had a rooster I hated. Awful bird. I had ever intention of using a hatchet...got everything ready. Apparently the bird knew what I had in mind as he chose that moment to RUN out of the barn into the woods. All of my birds are housed in cages in a closed barn.

Well, I wasn't chasing that bird through 15 acres of brush. I got out my BB gun, sited it on the back of his head and pulled the trigger. He never saw what was coming and I DON'T miss.

Bled him out in a bucket...he tasted awful. Little jerk...even in death I can't stand him.

Sorry you didn't even get to enjoy eating him!

I know what you mean I had an EE just like that glad it is gone. He put me against ever owning another EE rooster. Never again.

Back
Top Bottom