Using a Kiddy Wading Pool? Don't Mke the Mistake I Did.

He said the were about a year old. Definitely should have no problem with ten inches of water. I'm thinking there is something other than a problem getting out. If it were me I would set up a video recorder to find the problem. I suspect you have another duck to blame. Hens will mount each other from time to time just like a drake will.

Ducks, even adults, can become waterlogged and can drown if they can't get out of the water.

Thank you for your support.
hugs.gif

To all of you who can't believe this happened. I'm a realist (Well, most of the time.) All I can say is that I lost three fully grown ducks over about 2 months. After putting the paving stones in and making no other changes, no losses. I believe in what works.

I have no doubt that you corrected the problem by adding the paving stones. My thought on it though, is that you gave the "victim duck" a way to get get hold of something to get out from under the "problem duck".

The edge of a pond would have to be very steep and slippery to prevent a grown duck to get out. As others stated before, adults can just flap out when walking out does not work.

Maybe it was something else? Have your ducks recently shown any odd behaviour ?

At the risk of offending some;

This reminds me of a situation that I witnessed many years ago when I was attending university. There was a very bright technician working on a research project. He designed and built a circuit that solved a problem. He had it sitting on the workbench doing exactly what he said it would. When the project director came in he showed it to him and explained what it was meant to accomplish. With only a cursory glance at the device the director, who had two masters degrees demanded to see the schematics. He took them and disappeared into his office for about 2 1/2 hours, more time than the tech had spent designing and building the circuit. After that length of time he came out waving the diagrams in the air and loudly announced, "This will NOT work!"

The tech, who was understandably shocked said, "Yes sir, it will. Here it is. It's working"
Undaunted in the face of incontrovertible proof, the director responded, "No! It cannot work because...blah, blah, blah, ad infinitum, ad nauseum."

I had a problem, dead ducks in the pool,
I solved the problem, put in the paving stones. No more dead ducks.
I believe in what works. I started this thread to pass on what worked for me to others.
I did not start this thread to argue over the real cause of the problem, or to discuss if the solution works. Like the circuit in the story above, it does!

Things that everyone knew in times past:
  • the Earth is the center of the universe!
  • the Earth is flat!
  • tomatoes are poisonous!
  • traveling at speeds in excess of 25 mph is inherently hazardous to your health!
  • some women practice witchcraft and must be burned at the stake!

Hey, that might make a fun factoid thread. Maybe I'll start one.
smile.png

At the risk of offending some;

This reminds me of a situation that I witnessed many years ago when I was attending university. There was a very bright technician working on a research project. He designed and built a circuit that solved a problem. He had it sitting on the workbench doing exactly what he said it would. When the project director came in he showed it to him and explained what it was meant to accomplish. With only a cursory glance at the device the director, who had two masters degrees demanded to see the schematics. He took them and disappeared into his office for about 2 1/2 hours, more time than the tech had spent designing and building the circuit. After that length of time he came out waving the diagrams in the air and loudly announced, "This will NOT work!"

The tech, who was understandably shocked said, "Yes sir, it will. Here it is. It's working"
Undaunted in the face of incontrovertible proof, the director responded, "No! It cannot work because...blah, blah, blah, ad infinitum, ad nauseum."

I had a problem, dead ducks in the pool,
I solved the problem, put in the paving stones. No more dead ducks.
I believe in what works. I started this thread to pass on what worked for me to others.
I did not start this thread to argue over the real cause of the problem, or to discuss if the solution works. Like the circuit in the story above, it does!

Things that everyone knew in times past:
  • the Earth is the center of the universe!
  • the Earth is flat!
  • tomatoes are poisonous!
  • traveling at speeds in excess of 25 mph is inherently hazardous to your health!
  • some women practice witchcraft and must be burned at the stake!

Hey, that might make a fun factoid thread. Maybe I'll start one.
smile.png

I Second That!!
Wouldn't be so sure the witchcraft thing isn't true though!

BEDEMIR: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.

CROWD: Are there? What are they?

BEDEMIR: Tell me, what do you do with witches?

CROWD: Burn, burn them up!

BEDEMIR: And what do you burn apart from witches?

VILLAGER #2: Wood!

BEDEMIR: So, why do witches burn?

VILLAGER #3: B--... 'cause they're made of wood...?

BEDEMIR: Good!

CROWD: Oh yeah, yeah...

BEDEMIR: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?

VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.

BEDEMIR: Aah, but can you not also build bridges out of stone?

VILLAGER #2: Oh, yeah.

BEDEMIR: Does wood sink in water?

VILLAGER #1: No, no.

VILLAGER #2: It floats! It floats!

VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!

CROWD: The pond!

BEDEMIR: What also floats in water?

VILLAGER #1: Bread!

VILLAGER #2: Apples!

VILLAGER #3: Very small rocks!

ARTHUR: A duck.

CROWD: Oooh.

BEDEMIR: Exactly! So, logically...,

VILLAGER #1: If... she.. weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood.

BEDEMIR: And therefore--?

VILLAGER #1: A witch!

Back
Top Bottom