1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using a Kiddy Wading Pool? Don't Mke the Mistake I Did.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Mar 19, 2013.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoops! MAke

Our Khaki Campbell's pool is the middle sized one that WalMart sells and is about 10" deep. We've found three dead in the pool in the morning with no obvious signs of trauma. Watching them I noticed that some had trouble getting out of the pool because of the slippery edge. I put two concrete paving stones, 4" thick in where they mostly tried to get out two months ago and had no problems since. My theory is that they would wear themselves out trying to get out and drown. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Awww. I am so sorry that happened to you! That is a rough way to learn.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, no.

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    [​IMG] That's so sad!

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Oh, I am so sorry.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How old are they? that is to bad. I have a big pool, heck mine get into the horses water trough... I just put blocks around the outside, of coarse my 'scovies have claws which i suppose can be of help to get out.

You say they've gotten in/out before though? how incredibly strange. No signs of anything else? is the water ok?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Sorry that happened. I use kiddy pools but put flat cement blocks to make stairs while the ducks are little.

8. OldGuy43

About a year old this month. Water gets changed frequently, and once I put the blocks in the problem disappeared. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The cold weather may have had something to do with it. We did have a cooler winter here. [​IMG]

9. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    HI,
    What happened to me was exhaustion. I used a kiddie pool and I had one that wanted out and died trying [​IMG]

It was totally my fault and something I never repeated. The blocks steps should eliminate the problem. So sorry this happened-I know loss is tough.

10. OldGuy43

Ah, vindication. Thank you RooRidgeFarm.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by