Using a metal "hoop" frame, looking for wire, attachment suggestions

Zany Chick

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
I have a 12 x 20 skeleton left from a storage shed. The kind that is covered with heavy tarp material and you can drive a vehicle into. Since it is sitting doing nothing I thought I would use it for a run. It is 4 ft between each of the "hoops" so I thought I could just run 4 foot wide fencing up and over each section and am planning to use a bazillion zip ties to attatch it.

My thought was to do the bottom 2 or 3 feet (plus a 1 ft apron) in 1/2" hardware cloth and use poultry netting up the rest ove the sides and top.

Has anyone done anything similar before? I know some people have made hoop runs from PVC. Is 2 - 3 feet high enough?. I know the ideal would be to do the entire thing out of hardware cloth, but that is way over budget.

My other thought was to do the entire thing in the poultry fencing and then run welded wire 2x4 inch around the bottom 2 - 3 feet.

I do have secure coop I will locking them into at night. I just would like some added security in the day, especially if I am not at home.

Any experience, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

Last edited:
We had one of those and we covered it with the chicken wire then ran 2x4 wire around the bottome 3 feet. We also too metal and burried it 18" and ran it 18" above ground. We never had issues with it.

I like the second idea and would do it like oakieridge did. Wouldn't use zip ties. They get brittle and break and are not that cheap. I would consider cyclone fence ties. I think they would be cheaper and last longer.

Back
Top Bottom