Using a real barn

meholtspan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
I see lots of sites and info about building a separate chicken coop. I'm on a farm with an actual barn--used to be a horse barn. I'd like to adapt part of this structure for chickens rather than build something entirely new. The floor is cement. I realize I'll have to do some retro-fitting. Has anyone done this? Any hints, suggestions, warnings, etc?
Thanks
marilyn
Angus, Ontario, Canada

My chicks are in our barn. We used two by threes to frame out the pens, and then stapled on chicken wire. All my grown chickens are outside in smaller coops, as I needed the rest of the barn for our other animals. I think I have a picture of the chicks pens.. I'll look.

Last edited:
Here it is, nothing fancy. I put it at the window side of the barn so they would get sunlight. The back of the barn can be kind of dark and damp.
IMG_1157.jpg

My chickens are in our barn. 6 laying hens, 5 bantams(one a rooster) They cohabitate with the animals quite well. At this point, I don't even have a separated area for them, --just nesting boxes and a roost---as we are in the midst of extreme renovations--reorganization of the barn, fences being built, drainage tile being installed, gardens being dug, etc,etc etc... However--I just ordered 26 meat chicks, and they will be going into a tractor so I can rotate them to fresh pasture. I was forewarned about the smell and don't really want them in the barn.

Thanks for the pix and suggestions. My flock hasnt arrive yet. I've ordered americauna and buff orps from McMurray.

The main thing is that it typically requires a bit more work and a LOT more attention to detail to predator-proof part of an existing barn. REmember that raccoons and weasels and rats WILL come into the barn, indeed may already be living there unbeknownst to you
smile.png
, so you need to be very religious about finding every last weakness in the chicken area's defenses and strongly plugging it up. The cement floor will work in your favor. Don't forget about up under the eaves of the building.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom