Using an old towel in my brooder...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frozen Feathers, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    For bedding, is this wise? I usually use paper towels, but I go through so many or pine shavings, but they are super messy. So I was thinking of using some old towels and then just shaking them out and throwing them in the wash every few days. Can anyone think of any reason not too?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

LOTS of chicken doo

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like it should work. I've done that with thoes rubber asorber towels no problem.. I wash them in a bucket outside though.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Good point Silkiechicken....I haul out my washboard and scrub tub. [​IMG] lol Yeah I really couldn't think of any reason not too...just wanted to hear it from some one else. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

ANgie, I was pickin' earlier about the chicken poo comment, That's a no brainer. I used an old towel once but ended up taking it out because their little toenails kept hanging in the towel and pulling. I didn't want them declawed or crippled.

6. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

I layered towel/dog food bag/towel/dog food bag (they have plastic liners) until I had built up about 6 layers. Then, I just peeled a layer off in the morning and again in the evening. I did it again, it worked so well, and got through the first week that way. Then it was on to shavings.

No problems with toes, but I put the "silky" side of the towels up; not the terry-cloth looking sides.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have used old towels in the bottom of my brooder without any problems...I keep 3 or 4 and just shake out the poo and wash in the machine...I found it doesn't get as dusty....after a few weeks is when I start putting shavings in to get them use to those.....I didn't have problems with their toenails picking on the towel....

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just make sure there are no strings for them to pull on and get wrapped around their tongues, but old towels are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by