Using barn lime

I advise against using it at all, especially in a brooder due to the chicks delicate respiratory system. Brooders need to be cleaned pretty much daily unless they are very large.
Oftentimes the brooders get particularly smelly because the chicks spill their water into the bedding making it and the poop wet which always raises a lot of odor.
I use a homemade 'baby bottle' and hang it in the brooder instead.
baby bottle close up.png
It keeps the water from getting contaminated and keeps the bedding dry. I just used a sports bottle with a flip top and hook built into the screw cap (you need to have a flip top to prevent a vacuum from forming as the chicks use the bottle and the hook is handy for hanging it). I got the bottle at a local thrift store for 75 cents. Then bought a pack of vertical poultry nipples from a local farm store (you can also find them online), drilled a hole in the bottom of the bottle with the bit size stated on the package and threaded in a nipple. Although it isn't required, I did use some Teflon tape on the threads before threading it in. Then filled the bottle and tested it to make sure it wasn't leaking and hung it on a chain at a height where the chicks can stand to get a drink.
babies using bottle.jpg

Show several of the chicks the waterer by touching their beaks to it to make a drop of water come out and they all will soon check it out and start using it. Then remove the old waterer.

Lime also is not necessary in a coop that is kept dry and the poop load is regularly removed. The key is DRY to keep odors away.

Last edited:
I advise against using it at all, especially in a brooder due to the chicks delicate respiratory system. Brooders need to be cleaned pretty much daily unless they are very large.
Oftentimes the brooders get particularly smelly because the chicks spill their water into the bedding making it and the poop wet which always raises a lot of odor.
I use a homemade 'baby bottle' and hang it in the brooder instead.
View attachment 3225975
It keeps the water from getting contaminated and keeps the bedding dry. I just used a sports bottle with a flip top and hook built into the screw cap (you need to have a flip top to prevent a vacuum from forming as the chicks use the bottle and the hook is handy for hanging it). I got the bottle at a local thrift store for 75 cents. Then bought a pack of vertical poultry nipples from a local farm store (you can also find them online), drilled a hole in the bottom of the bottle with the bit size stated on the package and threaded in a nipple. Although it isn't required, I did use some Teflon tape on the threads before threading it in. Then filled the bottle and tested it to make sure it wasn't leaking and hung it on a chain at a height where the chicks can stand to get a drink.
View attachment 3225976
Show several of the chicks the waterer by touching their beaks to it to make a drop of water come out and they all will soon check it out and start using it. Then remove the old waterer.

Lime also is not necessary in a coop that is kept dry and the poop load is regularly removed. The key is DRY to keep odors away.
Okay, thank you for answering. I have read so many things say you need to use lime. And my husband and I are not sure which site to follow. The water bottle is definitely a good idea. We will have to do that.

Unfortunately, some people use these additives as a substitute for keeping things clean and dry. :(
We do everything possible to keep everything clean and dry. I was just wondering if it would be good to use in boorder. We cleaned their boorder out a day ago and it had alittle smell to it. Yes I know things will smell alittle their chickens. I just want to do everything possible to keep them healthy and orders down specially when they get to their coop. I don't want anyone saying it smells.

We do everything possible to keep everything clean and dry. I was just wondering if it would be good to use in boorder. We cleaned their boorder out a day ago and it had alittle smell to it. Yes I know things will smell alittle their chickens. I just want to do everything possible to keep them healthy and orders down specially when they get to their coop. I don't want anyone saying it smells.

Can you share photos of your brooder?

Also photos of your coop?

The main things in re: odor in the coop are:
  • SPACE -- The usual recommendation of 4 square feet per hen is a minimum. Crowded chickens will stink.
  • KEEP IT DRY -- Good construction, good drainage, and appropriate bedding. Poop + Moisture = Stink.
  • VENTILATION -- The usual recommendation is 1 square foot per hen. That's adequate in cooler and temperate climates but a hot and/or humid climate might need more, even a lot more. Heat and ammonia both rise, so it's most critical to have ventilation at the top of the roof peak but airFLOW is also necessary.
Here's my article on bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

And my article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Can you share photos of your brooder?

Also photos of your coop?

The main things in re: odor in the coop are:
  • SPACE -- The usual recommendation of 4 square feet per hen is a minimum. Crowded chickens will stink.
  • KEEP IT DRY -- Good construction, good drainage, and appropriate bedding. Poop + Moisture = Stink.
  • VENTILATION -- The usual recommendation is 1 square foot per hen. That's adequate in cooler and temperate climates but a hot and/or humid climate might need more, even a lot more. Heat and ammonia both rise, so it's most critical to have ventilation at the top of the roof peak but airFLOW is also necessary.
Here's my article on bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

And my article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
We are currently building the coop. I can put a picture up of the boorder from a few weeks ago. Thank you
20220730_183420.jpg

Can you use that First Saturday lime or Barn lime in border? I've read to use it in coop to cut the oder. But I didn't know if it could be put in border as well.
I use first saturday lime and DE both are great. Never used barn lime and dont know much about it. But not with baby chicks

Ok
I use first saturday lime and DE both are great. Never used barn lime and dont know much about it. But not with
Okay thanks. There is no where close to where I live that has first saturday. They barn lime I have seen at Rural King.
I use first saturday lime and DE both are great. Never used barn lime and dont know much about it. But not with baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom