using cooking oil to get rid of scaly leg mites?

I'm not sure about cooking oil, but I use petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and it works well. I put it on in the evenings when the birds have roosted-- Shaun holds the flashlight while I smear it in, squishing it into raised scales. The thick consistency helps it stay on. I've been repeating every few days or so and their legs look much, much better.

It seems that cooking oil could work also (the concept is that the grease smothers the mites). I wonder if used oil would attract flies, though.

I prefer the oil. I had about forty or so to treat at a facility that is open to the public. I went in at night and had a coffee can full of oil. I went along the roost and dipped every chicken's legs and then went back two more times. So, yes it worked....however, don't wear any good clothes. I would think the Vaseline would be less people messy but I needed fast. And the birds really look rough for a while. All grease makes the dirt stick!

ETA: I used the oil to help soften and remove the crusty junk on them. These birds were in very bad shape. Some had already lost toes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom