using drywall in the coop

G.C.

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Michigan eastern U.P.
Can anyone tell me if its o.k. to use drywall on the inside of my new coop. I have to cover the insulation and have drywall. Would it be better to use o.s.b. Thanks, G.C. in michigans U.P.

I'm sure you will get more qualified opinions than mine, but I would avoid it. My chicks peck at anything that looks different than surroundings. So as soon as you got a scratch or small hole in the drywall, I think they would slowly demolish the whole area.

Personally I would rather use that paneling that looks like ceramic tile. Would be easy to clean and less porous.

I personally would not use drywall. Chickens like it, it can hold moisture and odors. Dixygirl is right. I think the best is to use Tileboard. Home Depot and Lowes carry it in 4x8 sheets and is completely smooth or embossed with a tile pattern. When it's time to clean up your coop you can easily wipe the wall down. I built my coop with exterior plywood, 1 inch form and tile board. It worked out great. I caulked the seams and where it met the floor with Polyseamseal just to eliminate little "hidey holes" for spiders or mites to take up residence.

it is fine to have drywall in the coop but it is probably not a great idea to have it where it can be pecked by chickens. At the very least, if you do put it where it can be pecked by chickens, make real sure it is going to stay seriously D-R-Y (meaning, your litter stays real dry and you do not have leakage or condensate problems) and be prepared if you have to screw something over it after all, if they start in pecking at it.

Pat, with chickens in an insulated-drywalled building (preexisting, I didn't do that just for chickens <g>) but with heavy plastic or plywood covering the bottom half of all walls in the pens.

After seeing a horse die from ingesting the stuff. (LONG STORY) I wont have it around any animal that might peck, chew or gnaw on it.

Back
Top Bottom