using egg cartons ?

Quote:
I agree. I did not like hatching them on their sides on the screen. When the first few chicks come out, they kick the remaining eggs all around the incubator. We actually had one egg shell get broken when they chick inside only pipped. It got kicked around so much that the shell prematurely broke off in pieces, leaving the chick only covered in membrane. After waiting for a whole day to see what it would do, we finally had to help it out because the membrane was drying out so fast. It became like leather and stuck to the chick. He/she would have died if we did not help him/her out. Next time I am going to use cartons.

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. It makes very good sense. Only 8 of my eggs were shipped and those didn't travel very far or by air so hopefully, the air sacs haven't been too badly messed up. Perhaps I'll find out when I candle them next weekend. They did sit in my cold room for almost 48 hours before going into the incubator (because I was waiting for other eggs). Time will tell!!!

I do intend to use the paper cartons for hatching. I have been convinced of that.
smile.png

Mine came across the country and they were intact on the outside but the insides were like an accident victems and I treat them just like that.in the incubator they do not move at all for 6 or 7 days, just sit in the heat, I hand turn my own eggs in the tray, even lay them down on the tray for a bit, but the shipped eggs stay absolutly still for that first 6 - 7 days befor I turn the turner on...the shipped eggs sit upright throughout the hatch to give air cell every chance. the eggs from my barn can roll around and it never hurts them,

..boy the air cells were all over the place when i got them, Its sure not the breeders fault its what it is in the postal service...and the chance we take...they are very delicate and they sure didnt get here in 2 days by vehicle..they flew and lord knows through what cities..sometimes they go clear to newark NJ then back here..they do get here fast but The one egg was solid bubbles, that was how scattered the air cell was...lot of pressure changes flying and bumpy roads on the way here...I really am shocked that in 5 eggs air cells set back up..the 5 others are better but still sloppy ....they were rolling all over in the egg..Maybe, and Im saying Maybe that is why a lot of shipped eggs will somehow make it all the way to hatch and die..they both drown and are chasing that bit of gulp of air and cannot get sufficient air to get started in zip loose energy and die..it took everything they had just to get through all of that...but we try to give them very advantage..I call it ICU-CCU for shipped eggs.It is written on that thermometer too, ICU-CCU area.

Like I said..all of the eggs out of my barn are laid down come hatch time.. on those small white paper plates and the shipped eggs are let at a slight tilt sitting upright in paper egg carton, they are the drab grey pulp cartons from the store..that way the chicks that are hatching cant make an already bad situation worse with eggs that cells are apt to roll around..I add no water at all because I need to try to get those air cells 1/3 of the space in that egg..some shells are thinner than others and evaporate more quickly..some are thicker and take lot longer..seems the darker the egg the longer it takes..

One time I had an egg out of my own barn one of those very ROUND eggs, honestly, I could not tell the top from the bottom of that egg..and it was a darker brown , didnt have the brinsea candler (best money I have ever spent!) so couldnt see where the air cell was deveoping..that didnt go so well..I think I incubated that egg upside down the whole time..wonder if that has ever happened to anybody else..that egg was as round as a ball and I probably shouldnt have tried to hatch it..but that was the only casuality that I had that wasnt power outage related..that was several years ago.

Last edited:
Yea BarnGoddess01...am also sticking to my decision..my friend came and offered a bunch of egg cartons...great...best of luck to all... all still steady....G

Quote:
... 18 hatching eggs for $8 = practice eggs, LOL. Thats what i got after my first eggs from my hens didn't go well b/c the incubator wasn't working right, 2/14 hatched. now i have 16/18 from those i got that are hatching in 5 days, and so far so good.
smile.png

i think any cheap eggs for me are considered practice eggs since i want silkie eggs! gotta get this down perfect before spending money on those...

When you use the cardboard (pulp) cartons, do you cut the bottoms out for air flow?? Did that with the styrofoam last time and it seemed to make sense. but not sure it would make much of a differance. It sure was troublesome and if it is not necessary, I won't do it again. Setting next week with shipped and picked up eggs. ..stan

Quote:
I used pulp cartons last year, and did not cut out the bottoms. I think I would re-consider if using styrofoam, as they are less "breathable".

I'd really be interested to hear from members that have used both pulp and styrofoam - which do you prefer and why?

Quote:
I used pulp cartons last year, and did not cut out the bottoms. I think I would re-consider if using styrofoam, as they are less "breathable".

I'd really be interested to hear from members that have used both pulp and styrofoam - which do you prefer and why?

I only use the pulp ones....and I've never cut the bottoms out for air flow.

Katy, well I loaded the egg cartons 8:30 am.. no room for my thermometor, it a long acurite that tell humidity on bottom and temp on top...day 1 to 18 consistant 99.5 - aprox 38 hum.....is it too late to put the thermometer in cannot know humidity without it...put the sponges in every corner, filled the center water tray, pulled out red plugs .... they said to not open for any reason...am in lockdown day l, please advise, next time I will buy a digetal therm.....will they hatch as is or do I have to put in therm...

Back
Top Bottom