using egg cartons ?

I just looked humidity up in the BYC Bible (Raising Chickens for Dummies) and it says "humidity in the incubator should be about 55 percent until the last two days, when it should be bumped up to 65 to 70 percent".
idunno.gif

In my Genesis, I try to maintain 50 - 55% during incubation, and add a bit of water when it drops to 45. During lockdown, I try to maintain 65 - 70, and add water when it drops to 60. I'm in an arid climate, and high altitude, so that's what works for me.

Katy, am sticking to plan...my temps run 99.5 consistant was 38 Humidity consistantly waiting for it to drop back from 48-50 to 38..and holding.....poo yie....G. Ha. raised 6 children this CANNOT be this hard to do...plan to have a 2nd incubator to us as hatcher, that sounds like a plan.......Yea.....finally

Quote:
And this is why I always say you have to figure out what works for you where you live.....what works for one isn't going to work everyone. Lots of trial and error sometimes.

Quote:
And this is why I always say you have to figure out what works for you where you live.....what works for one isn't going to work everyone. Lots of trial and error sometimes.

When I started out, I was told for this climate to go with 60 - 65, and 80 - 85 during lockdown. They hatched OK, but were just so sopping wet - literally!, it took almost two full days for them to dry out. So I dropped everything back - I just felt like I was about to drown someone.

Quote:
What they should say is non-shipped laid by your home flock eggs!! It would eliminate a lot of heartbreak for first time hatchers.

The folks I purchased the incubator from use the same model as mine and are located VERY near by. They hatch batch after batch year after year and are incubating some now as well. They follow manufacturer's instructions for this model with great success so I guess I'll do the same and hope for the best. (I have a 50/50 blend of my own eggs and outsiders - and I am well aware that I have NO idea what I'm doing .... )

Back
Top Bottom