Using fat for soap?

It wont be with chicken fat. Have to build up a supply but hmm.. Soap is such a creative process. It gets the what ifs..... going good. :D

Oh, I agree... I researched it for months and months before I made my first batch. I had been saving chicken fat for quite some time before even beginning the research. Wondering what use I could find for chicken fat was what started me on this bubbly journey. Now I'm hooked and see soap in every nook and cranny of my house! Constantly wondering what kind of soap this or that would make... Happy soaping!!
yippiechickie.gif

I would love to know how it works out! I recently had pigs butchered and asked him to save me the fat. He found it strange lol but I have a big bag of fat in my freezer. I need to get it rendered and had considered making some soap with some! I love making soap :D

Around here I think they would find it funny if we DID'T ask for the fat from a butchered hog... LOL

I've used chicken fat in CP (cold process) soaps several times, usually at no more than 15-20%. The soap calculator at http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcwp.asp
has chicken fat listed, and it gives the general properties. Typically you'd expect a soft soap that adds conditioning qualities. The times I've used it we absolutely LOVED it, and they were just as hard as our normal bars. In fact when I use the chicken fat we keep the batch for ourselves rather than sell.

Normally we make soap with our raw goat milk, using just olive and coconut oils, since the milk makes up for anything the oils would lack. But adding the chicken fat...it's pretty good stuff...

Darren

Last edited:
Are you guys cutting and saving the fat during the butchering process, or collecting drippings during cooking? I know nothing about this - and it seems interesting (also, got a couple sheep this year, and was thinking about lanolin for soap)

We collect the fat during the butchering, and when I've got a fair amount stored in the freezer I put it in the crockpot to render it down slowly. Lanolin from what I've heard is good to use in soaps, but I wouldn't know at what percentage or anything like that...

Hi, have you made that soap using chicken fat? could you please share it with us?? Kind Regards Teresa

Hi! Chicken fat makes a very soft, too soft, (it would be gone in no time) bar of soap, but with a different lye, potassium hydroxide (caustic potash) instead of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) for bar soap, you can make liquid soap you can use for dishes, body, laundry, etc! If anyone's interested, I've done it and will share a recipe!

Back
Top Bottom