using fishing line above my garden to repel Hawks-? (question answered, thanks!!)

OH-- thanks, I didnt know there was such a thing- it would probably be much stronger! ok, I just googled it--

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

there seems to be a variety! what type would you suggest-- how large of holes, and what weight? reading through their description, I'd think the 2" heavy knotted would work? as long as the holes are not too big for chickens? we do get snow here- sometimes ice storms- usually just light snow though- 6".

thanks very much.- Amy

Last edited:
I use the light weight netting from that company. I use that because i have a large area and it was expensive to use the heavier netting. I am thinking of covering my entire garden soon like you are considering. Youll need to erect some tall poles in the middle of your garden. The light weight is plenty strong to keep out a hawk, but if money isnt a concern .....

well, money is always a concern, but coming out to feed, and to find carnage instead, is worse. Did you find the netting to be stretchy? Im wondering if the 25 x 50 will stretch to 30. Or I can order the 50 x 50 but thats going to waste quite a bit of it and cost 45 dollars more.. but considering all Ive spent so far I dont know why Im worried about it! :)

I have had my 6 peeps since April 12. They are now getting big and in a Green Chicken Coop tractor and run. They are securely locked in at night and I have had no problems with predators. Two weeks ago my neighbor started losing some of his flock to a hawk. He saw the hawk swoop down and carry away a little Americauna fledgling 4 months old. Mine had been running about during the day and enjoying life. I quickly slammed the door on their fun and am now possessed with keeping them out of flying talons. I ordered a portable poultry fence that can be electrifed and that has helped confine their roaming. They spend most of their time under my grapefruit bush or in the coop area. I was not satisfied and also bought the SCARE EYES balloons and hung those inside the fence. My poor girls are terrifed of the balloons and run like crazy for the grapefruit bush when I let them out of the coop. They squawk and fly and can't get under the bush fast enough. I also got 300 feet of party flag banners to hang but I have not done that yet. I think I need some help here. They are 16 weeks old and will probably be too scared to start laying when the time comes due to my hawk obsession. I just want to protect them not scare them to death. HELP!

Fishing line works. Period. We can argue all day but I have 1700 hards of line up over our coops and no chickens have been taken since. Hawks require clear path to swoop down. The line breaks up this path. Our line is attached to flag poles all around the yard (a sat view of our yard is below), so the line is 10 feet off the ground and very hard to see. Not trashy at all.

Last edited:
Fishing line works but I have another sugestion. I use tree netting stretched across outdoor pens. It's cheap and lasts about three years. The tree netting lets snow fall through unless it's very wet snow. It will also stretch quite a bit. Any farm store should have it.

Fishing line works. Period. We can argue all day but I have 1700 hards of line up over our coops and no chickens have been taken since. Hawks require clear path to swoop down. The line breaks up this path. Our line is attached to flag poles all around the yard (a sat view of our yard is below), so the line is 10 feet off the ground and very hard to see. Not trashy at all.
What weight line do you use? We have netting over the pen now but the wind and snow takes a toll on it. Sorry for the duplicate posting.

I can't recall the weight but it's just standard fishing line, nothing fancy at all. I bought it in 500 yard rolls for $4.00 each. We've had two lines be snapped by hawks flying into it! One left two feathers wrapped in the line as well!

Back
Top Bottom