Using golf balls for fake eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angus flock, Jan 11, 2016.

1. angus flock

angus flock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2016
    I have a flock of 10 hens all about 20 weeks old I heard if you put fake eggs it will help them to start laying I found some but there were only 2 per package and 6.00 a set so I read on here that you can use golf balls. Is this true? 5 out of the hens have bright red crowns and the other are a pale red/pink. How soon do you think they will start laying?? Help

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Yes, golf balls are quite suitable - in fact it's what I use (I actually use the plastic "practice" golf balls - even cheaper). What breed(s) are your girls? How long have the combs of your five more mature looking girls been this bright?

3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and [​IMG]
    We are glad you joined us!

Well if your hens have big red combs they should start laying any time now. They say they usually start to lay anywhere from 6-7 months of age. You can use fake golf balls to get the hens used to where you want them to lay, to get them trained. Hope this helps.

CherriesBrood~

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like your girls will start laying soon - golf balls are fine - any cheap brand will do. That gives the girls an idea where eggs should go. Please update when you get your first eggs so we can celebrate with you. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Golf balls have worked for a lot of members. Be patient, if I remember right, my earliest girls didn't start laying until about 22-24 weeks old. They'll do it when they're good and ready!

Good luck!

7. angus flock

Jan 11, 2016

8. angus flock

Jan 11, 2016
    I just noticed them yesterday but I would have to say maybe a week or less I have 5 white leghorns and 5 California whites

9. Coopmom56

Coopmom56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    I have used regular old golf balls quite successfully (hubby is a golfer, so lots of spare ones around). I used two per nest and removed them when it seemed that all had figured it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by