Using latice for the run. Good climbers for color?

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
Hi All! We're building our run out of latice sheets and I'm wondering what plants I could plant around it to give it some color. At first I was thinking columbine but I think those are poisonous. Climbing roses are expensive and I'm not sure if they're durable enough to survive the ladies attentions from the other side.

Any recommendations would be awesome!

didn't think sweet peas were, but what about honeysuckle? If you went with annuals like sweet peas, cardinal vine (very pretty lacy foliage, bright red flowers) or other annual vines, if you didn't like the look, you could always change it the next year. The lattice will look pretty, but won't keep them safe from predators at night -- make sure they have a secure sleeping spot behind walls and a door.
smile.png

how about grapevines? Free treats in fall... or ponegranate. Major yumminess factor, but not a lot of eye candy.
Bush beans or different greern baen varieties,,, this giei give treats on your side of the fence, but the girls get wgat grown on their sid.

Last edited:
I'll definantly look into everything listed so far. I just want to give the white latices a splash of color and make things look pritty.

Crtrlovr- They do have a secure coop for the night and we will be installing some hardware cloth to the bottoms of the latices to help prevent digging as well. Plus a salad bar along one of the more suseptable areas. Honestly, we're not too worried about predators. We're in suburbia so barring the stray dog or random racoon there's not too much going here. And we will also have a top secured to the run to keep climbers or birds of prey out as well.

Quote:
If these are the white PVC lattice panels, this is probably relatively OK at least for a while til they start to get brittle. If however you mean the wooden lattice panels, I would suggest DON'T DO IT, they are far too easy for dogs or raccoons to rip apart. If you want the lattice look, honestly the best way of doing it is to make a proper wire run fence and simply attach lattice (of whatever sort, since it no longer performs a structural role) TO that fencing.

Can't suggest plants without knowing your USDA growing zone, climate, sun, soil, etc.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I like lattice a lot, But I didn't use any because I can't see my chickens thru it, isn't that silly? I like to sit outside and watch them scratch around and do their thing and you can barely see them thru lattice...just a thought

Back
Top Bottom