Using natural water source

ceubel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
I have a creek on my property that runs pretty level to the forest floor so it's easy for me to reroute the creek with just a shovel and hoe. If I rerouted the creek to run through my chicken run would this be a good source of water for them? And would they use it? I took a picture to show the general size of it, I just spent about 10mins making this as an example

How clean is the water? Chickens drink from puddles sometimes, so maybe you could reroute the water so they could drink from it, but also provide clean water for them in another container?

Last edited:
The water is pretty clear once the dirt settles. It comes from an underwater spring and I don't live near any farming so it wouldn't be contaminated by livestock means. You're probably right in having an alternative water source in a container, I just liked the creek idea because it meant I didn't have to refill the water container everyday
1f601.png

LOL, I know about not wanting to do that. Especially in these temperatures! If you were to reroute it though, you might want to somehow make it so it continually flows, so it wouldn't freeze, but keep in mind that if it's flowing, then the dirt wouldn't be able to settle. So it's a toss up between breaking ice, or finding a way to keep the water clean. :)

I read somewhere that sometimes rerouting a natural spring is illegal? You might want to check that out too!

I'd probably just reroute it so it connected back with itself down a ways, that way overall the water flow isn't affected and most of the original creek doesn't go dry. I'll just have to do some testing with it once it warms up!:) and the legal part? That never even crossed my mind haha, But I will for sure check into that before I continue! Thanks

My birds are on a natural water source now with no problems. The stream flows down, widens into a small pond, then overflows out on its merry way. No problems with bird health and, since I have both ducks & chickens, soooooo much easier! I'm dreading when it dries up late summer again (seasonal flow). The chickens are smart enough to drink upstream of where the ducks hang out so get cleaner water.

I really don't worry about a bit of dirt (as opposed to poop) in their water...it's the same dirt they're foraging in all day and that they eat for grit.

Well hopefully the chickens don't have a problem with the stream. The only problem I'd have is it will freeze over in the winter but other than that it flows all year. I'm also hoping the new stream will attract bugs that the hens can snack on in the summer. Thanks for the answer!:)

Water rights are vicious! But you would be safer checking with your local water commission or court house about whether someone you never even heard of has legal title to every drop of your spring water. Even diverting it can open you up to a law suit.

When you photograph something, you would do well to place a familiar object next to it for scale.We have no way of seeing whether your stream is a few inches wide or several yards.

Is the spring a year-round source? If no one owns the water rights, and the spring is on your land, check to see if your deed specifies that you own surface and underground mineral and water rights. If it's yours, you can then do any old thing you want. I wouldn't let it get back to the EPA, though. They have been known to throw up road blocks. We sure live in fun times.

And I would have the local health department run a water test for you. If, for instance, there is arsenic present, which is common, you want to know if it's at safe levels for your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom