Using oil to fatten up birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by brooster, Jul 17, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My roasters keel bone is not rounding out as well as i would like it too. i use a corn and soy oil for my hogs, could i drizzle 3 or 4 oz on their feed to round out that keel?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Are you going to eat him?

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well yeah!

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I don't see it hurting him. Oil is sometimes given to dogs as well to improve their coats.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I like hempseed. Very good protein count. Chunks Miss Chook right up when she gets a little lean. But, I've never tried corn oil.

6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    will that show up on a drug test?!

7. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    I would be curious to see if oil would round out a boney roo. I read once that chickens are the only farm animal that can covert fat energy to protein energy, this is done with egg production.

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine raises roosters for fly tying. He's always feeding them sunflower seeds and other stuff cause they have good amounts of oil in them. I guess oil makes them have nice glossy feathers. I have noticed his roo's are a lot plumper than mine. Why would it be any different if you just fed them the oil? I doubt it would hurt to try????

9. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    well, i added 3 oz to thier food this morning. Hope it doesnt kill them. They are the roasters, so in no means are they boney. I will be showing them at my fair, so they need to be perfect! [​IMG]

10. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I wonder if shortening would do it too? Or bacon grease? I really know nothing about meat birds, but I know what makes ME fat! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by