Using oil to fatten up birds?

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
My roasters keel bone is not rounding out as well as i would like it too. i use a corn and soy oil for my hogs, could i drizzle 3 or 4 oz on their feed to round out that keel?

I would be curious to see if oil would round out a boney roo. I read once that chickens are the only farm animal that can covert fat energy to protein energy, this is done with egg production.

A friend of mine raises roosters for fly tying. He's always feeding them sunflower seeds and other stuff cause they have good amounts of oil in them. I guess oil makes them have nice glossy feathers. I have noticed his roo's are a lot plumper than mine. Why would it be any different if you just fed them the oil? I doubt it would hurt to try????

well, i added 3 oz to thier food this morning. Hope it doesnt kill them. They are the roasters, so in no means are they boney. I will be showing them at my fair, so they need to be perfect!
wink.png

I wonder if shortening would do it too? Or bacon grease? I really know nothing about meat birds, but I know what makes ME fat!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom