Using Poultry Netting in Hard Clay

SAZUGT

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
South East, AZ
Does anyone on here have experience using electric poultry netting to rotate chickens in the southwest? We're located in SE AZ and I'd love to start rotating to help reduce feed costs and utilize chicken power to improve my soil. I want to consider doing this as the fence isn't too pricey but I'm concerned the stakes won't go into the hard clay I have in some areas of my yard. Any feedback/ suggestion/ discussion is appreciate. Thanks!

Does anyone on here have experience using electric poultry netting to rotate chickens in the southwest? We're located in SE AZ and I'd love to start rotating to help reduce feed costs and utilize chicken power to improve my soil. I want to consider doing this as the fence isn't too pricey but I'm concerned the stakes won't go into the hard clay I have in some areas of my yard. Any feedback/ suggestion/ discussion is appreciate. Thanks!
I have Premier I company's poultry netting. Got the double spiked kind. IT is near impossible to get the stakes in hard clay. -- A couple of things that may help you are 1. a rubber mallet and 2 pre-wet the area where you will want to put the stakes. That being said, it is still really hard.

I'm thinking next time I put it up, I'm going to get a shovel and dig where I want the posts to go. (yay! more work) --- When the ground is wet they will go in -- but not when the hard clay is dry -- may as well try to stick them in cement.

If you find a better way be sure to post. You may also check with the company that you are thinking of buying from for recommendations. Hopefully some others will weigh in with their thoughts.

Thanks for the reply! Ya I talked to someone locally who uses rebar and plastic construction fencing. As predetors aren't really an issue with my area I'm thinking I'll try that and see how it works.

Thanks for the reply! Ya I talked to someone locally who uses rebar and plastic construction fencing. As predetors aren't really an issue with my area I'm thinking I'll try that and see how it works.
Seems with rebar you would have to pound it in? Probably would cost a lot less. Plastic Deer fencing sometimes comes in green or black. -- construction fencing in orange. I wonder if bird netting would work for you -- it's kind of flimsy -- but maybe would keep them in and cost a bit less.

good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom