Using Regurgitation Method to Clear a Partially Blocked Crop

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello Chicken Folk!

I have an EE (almost three years old, has always been on the quiet and calm side) who has a partially blocked crop.

Signs it’s a partial blockage:
1.) She was seeming slower and more subdued a week or so ago, and when I picked her up she felt lighter than normal
2.) Checked her the next morning and noticed her crop hadn’t drained
3.) Brought her in to monitor - she is pooping, but only about the size of a dime or quarter (so something’s getting through, at least)
4.) Was able to massage most of what was in her crop through the other night (after giving her olive oil), but she’s still not draining solid parts
*I’m attaching pictures below

What I’ve done for treatment:
1.) Kept her inside for two days and liquid diet only (water with probiotics, NutriDrench, low sodium chicken broth)
2.) Administered olive oil and tried massaging to break things up - this is kind of working

I did let her out for the day when I mostly cleared her crop - I didn‘t want her to get depressed from being away from the flock for so long, and I am away at work all day. I did bring her back in last night and kept her in all day. Her demeanor is good - she’s alert, red comb, tail feathers held up, grooming her feathers … But I’m trying to get her back to normal without a vet visit, if possible. There is a funky, rotting broccoli smell coming from her crop when I massage it, and it sounds like there may be some air bubbles in there (the flock did have broccoli a week and a half to two weeks ago). I also suspect some alfalfa hay may have gotten in there (I use it as nesting material).

So, back to my original question: I watched a video where someone used the regurgitation method (usually for sour crop) to help clear a partially blocked crop. They filled her up a bit with water using a syringe, then forced the liquid out. Have any of you used this method for a blocked crop before, and how did it go? Thanks!

- Jenna

DEEE2B4D-47D9-437A-BA2E-7D7CB15FA6F9.jpeg 3E4E3376-EAC3-4811-8BA1-83EE47DB7C42.jpeg CA9D914D-DF83-4880-AF42-1538D2B56FF6.jpeg

That smell would likely indicate sour crop. This can happen when the crop won’t empty for whatever reason and this causes an overgrowth of yeast.
Some people use monistat, I was never brave enough to feed it to my girl so I ordered this. I use it for my girl with a pendulous crop who deals with frequent bouts of sour crop.
https://www.mikesfalconry.com/product/medistatin-powder-used-for-the-treatment-of-candida-in-birds/
Hello Chicken Folk!

I have an EE (almost three years old, has always been on the quiet and calm side) who has a partially blocked crop.

1.) She was seeming slower and more subdued a week or so ago, and when I picked her up she felt lighter than normal
3.) Brought her in to monitor - she is pooping, but only about the size of a dime or quarter (so something’s getting through, at least)
4.) Was able to massage most of what was in her crop through the other night (after giving her olive oil), but she’s still not draining solid parts

1.) Kept her inside for two days and liquid diet only (water with probiotics, NutriDrench, low sodium chicken broth)
2.) Administered olive oil and tried massaging to break things up - this is kind of working

I did let her out for the day when I mostly cleared her crop - I didn‘t want her to get depressed from being away from the flock for so long, and I am away at work all day. I did bring her back in last night and kept her in all day. Her demeanor is good - she’s alert, red comb, tail feathers held up, grooming her feathers … But I’m trying to get her back to normal without a vet visit, if possible. There is a funky, rotting broccoli smell coming from her crop when I massage it, and it sounds like there may be some air bubbles in there (the flock did have broccoli a week and a half to two weeks ago). I also suspect some alfalfa hay may have gotten in there (I use it as nesting material).

So, back to my original question: I watched a video where someone used the regurgitation method (usually for sour crop) to help clear a partially blocked crop. They filled her up a bit with water using a syringe, then forced the liquid out. Have any of you used this method for a blocked crop before, and how did it go? Thanks!

- Jenna

View attachment 3036571View attachment 3036591View attachment 3036592
I’ve used it for sour crop multiple times, not for blockages though. I would say to get some mango. If she will eat it, the enzymes in it are very helpful at breaking down the crop impactions.

Hello Chicken Folk!

- Jenna

View attachment 3036571View attachment 3036591View attachment 3036592
Forcing a bird to vomit will push liquid into their lungs, which is why it is not recommended. They can very easily aspirate and you go from having a crop issue to having a crop issue+aspiration pneumonia, which is often fatal.

I definitely would not recommend it.

Forcing a bird to vomit will push liquid into their lungs, which is why it is not recommended. They can very easily aspirate and you go from having a crop issue to having a crop issue+aspiration pneumonia, which is often fatal.

I definitely would not recommend it.
Thank you! I’ve done this with girls who had sour crop before, but my Beatrix doesn’t have sour crop. I’m going to keep at the whole liquid nutrition in the morning and olive oil massage in the afternoons for now - at least while she remains in good health. Hopefully I’ll eventually work out the problem. Thanks again for your feedback.
- Jenna

Back
Top Bottom