Using Sand as Flooring- Help!

foxystag

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Long Beach, Mississippi
So I have been wanting to use sand as my flooring in the coop for a few weeks now and going to try to get stuff done tomorrow.
But it really is hard looking for river sand or construction grade that is 'silicate free'- I have no such luck with the internet or even having .5 tons shipped to me.

So my question is: what kind of sand do you work with and how did you get it?

Would any of the sands from Lowes or Home Depot be good?
Would that work for the coop? Any ideas?

Well, I've been using Home Depot play sand in my coop. Cheap, clean, no harm to my chickens. My little flock if 4 can't free range. They are moved regularly to a moveable cattle panel whoop run to forage in the grass. My birds are healthy, their poo is normal and I don't have material to change out. I plan to change out the sand next July, which will be one year of use. With DE and sweet PDZ added, I have no bugs or odor. I've freshened up once with more PDZ after several days of rain. It all dried back to original consistency. I don't have ability to get river silt your talking about. But, I thought all sand has silica??

Well, I've been using Home Depot play sand in my coop. Cheap, clean, no harm to my chickens. My little flock if 4 can't free range. They are moved regularly to a moveable cattle panel whoop run to forage in the grass. My birds are healthy, their poo is normal and I don't have material to change out. I plan to change out the sand next July, which will be one year of use. With DE and sweet PDZ added, I have no bugs or odor. I've freshened up once with more PDZ after several days of rain. It all dried back to original consistency. I don't have ability to get river silt your talking about. But, I thought all sand has silica??

I'll just have to think what to do to the best of my abilities! I know I would be too much of a chicken to use play sand because I know my girls would just fill up on that and be compacted. I am glad it has worked out for you! And really love the idea about DE and PDZ. c:

Back
Top Bottom