Using Sand in Coop

tommboy1973

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Hidden Valley, AZ
Hi, I am new to chickens and we are building our first coop. After reading tons of posts on this forum I have decided to use sand on the floor of the coop. I have two questions:

1. The floor is just plywood now, do you thinks a sheet of heavy duty landscape plastic laid on floor and stapled about 6 in up the sides would work to lay sand in? Will the chickens try to eat the plastic?

2. Considering a run I have decided to build it wide and low to save costs, as opposed to tall enough for me to stand in. My concern is cleaning the run, how would I clean it if I can't get into it? Maybe with sand I wouldn't need to???

Thanks for your help!!

Ok three questions!!

3. We have tons of sand nearby in the washes that run along our property, would it be ok to use that sand? It is a pretty good mix of particle sizes and will not be that different from what the chickens will encounter free ranging in the yard.

Last edited:
I'll give this a shot - but I've not used much sand.

1) any material used to contain the sand should be fine. The birds may peck at the plastic, but as long as you don't have it cut into strips they can choke on they will be fine.

2) depending on how many birds you have & how large you make the run determines how often if at all you need to clean the run.

You could use a hose if you don't mind a little mud in there while it dryes. Just do it in the evening after they go to bed - or lock them in for the day.

3) Chickens don't care where you get the sand - free sand is way better than pruchased sand.

Back
Top Bottom