Using Sand

Wet conditions + sand isn't ideal, you're looking at poop getting washed/dissolved into every nook and cranny which leads to a stinky mess pretty fast. Sand works best in arid climates where it doesn't get wet and when it does, can dry out super fast.

Any drainage issues with your run? Is it covered or uncovered?

Thank you. We have a coup but the fenced in area outside is not, and gets very muddy and yucky.

I'd really recommend a deep litter system over sand for mud issues, provided that existing soil drainage is not an issue at the site (if it is, drainage needs to be addressed regardless of litter choice). Deep litter provides drainage and a stable surface for walking on if wood chips are the base ingredient, plus it helps build up healthy microbes and worms to break down poop along with other plant matter you throw in, which fixes odor issues.

You can use sand in a muddy area, but you’ll need to build up the area or resolve the water issue. I’d also recommend covering the run - or at least part of it. Where are you located? Pics of your setup would also be helpful.

I’m in way southern Ohio, where it’s always hot and rainy. We have a 10’ by 25’ partially covered run with sand that is about ten inches deep. We got washed, coarse, natural river sand from the local quarry to use in the coop and the run and it works like a charm. During the winter, we cover the unroofed part of the run with a reinforced clear plastic tarp that we secure to the fencing with bungees. It keeps that area dry so the eight girls can use it all winter long. During the summer, the tarp comes off so they get sunshine. Because two-thirds of the run is covered, they always have dry sand to walk and dustbathe in.

34C490D1-D0F4-4DD2-A486-66999DF08E7D.jpeg

Here’s a close up of the sand.
0AFD7089-B60E-4E1D-AE72-CFE87052CDDC.jpeg

I'd really recommend a deep litter system over sand for mud issues, provided that existing soil drainage is not an issue at the site (if it is, drainage needs to be addressed regardless of litter choice). Deep litter provides drainage and a stable surface for walking on if wood chips are the base ingredient, plus it helps build up healthy microbes and worms to break down poop along with other plant matter you throw in, which fixes odor issues.
You can use sand in a muddy area, but you’ll need to build up the area or resolve the water issue. I’d also recommend covering the run - or at least part of it. Where are you located? Pics of your setup would also be helpful.

I’m in way southern Ohio, where it’s always hot and rainy. We have a 10’ by 25’ partially covered run with sand that is about ten inches deep. We got washed, coarse, natural river sand from the local quarry to use in the coop and the run and it works like a charm. During the winter, we cover the unroofed part of the run with a reinforced clear plastic tarp that we secure to the fencing with bungees. It keeps that area dry so the eight girls can use it all winter long. During the summer, the tarp comes off so they get sunshine. Because two-thirds of the run is covered, they always have dry sand to walk and dustbathe in.

View attachment 2156237
Here’s a close up of the sand.
View attachment 2156239

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom