Using scratch to save my garden

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
Mine is a small, urban yard. I don't have much grass b/c, well, I can't stand the stuff. I've got 95% garden and 5% grass. The problem this time of year, though, is that the girls are digging digging digging DIGGING!
barnie.gif

They dig, I rake it back into the beds. rinse, lather, repeat
he.gif

Today I bought some scratch in the hopes that it'll keep them busy for a little while and maybe distract them from kicking every last bit of mulch and dirt out of my beds.

hu.gif
if it'l work, but at least they were happy!

I put scratch every day for my hen and they still dig every where, but the good news I have enough land for tem to play.

anyway I wish you good luck.

Omran

I have to put a fence around every bit of garden I don't want to be scratched, dug up, or munched. I refuse put a fence around the flower bed in front of my house -- it's there to look pretty! -- so every day I have to go shovel the mulch back in... Oh, well, they keep the bugs down, that's what I tell myself.

Ha! and you thought you could still have a garden! I predict that within a year the chickens will have won. You could still put plastic flowers out if you want color!
wink.png

Planted about 15 heads of cabbage, gone in two minutes flat, planted another 15 covered with a row cover, gone in two days, planted turnips, gone within a week, covered new turnips with row cover and the grasshopers just loved the warm cozy enviroment I made for them. Lesson learned? Putting up a fence come spring and trying again. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't decide to hop the fence.

PS, the kids may have sabotaged the row covers on the cabbage. When I told them about it they did not looked surprised.

Coop and run in design stages. My wife is thinking 6-8 chickens. I'm building big enough for 12-18.

The coop and run will go next to the already-fenced garden, with a connecting gate. The idea: we can let the in when WE want to go after bugs/weeds. They may get to range in the yard at other times.

My question: will my three-foot garden fence keep them out?

Quote:
Hi, I see you're new
welcome-byc.gif

You might want to make a new thread for your question, but the answer is probably yes. Ours respected a 2' fence so I think you'll be OK as long as you get heavier breeds that aren't too flighty. Welcome once again to a wonderful forum!

Back
Top Bottom