Using Shredded Paper for Coop Litter - As Good As Wood Chips?

Pics
TBH I don't know what to do with the old shredders, which I inherited from my late mother's house in 2008. A charity shop won't take them and I've never seen a request for one on the Freecycle forum; but I just can't put something to be recycled if it's still in perfect working condition. I'll try not to spoil them but won't cry if they can't cope.

I've never heard of battery-powered scissors but will investigate!

The ground in the 'extension' run is starting to get damp and heavy cardboard shreds would be the best for covering it. It's rained so much that the water company has just lifted the hosepipe ban :)
Have you tried posting them as available on Freecycle? I hadn’t seen one asked for but when I offered one there was interest.

TBH I don't know what to do with the old shredders, which I inherited from my late mother's house in 2008. A charity shop won't take them and I've never seen a request for one on the Freecycle forum; but I just can't put something to be recycled if it's still in perfect working condition. I'll try not to spoil them but won't cry if they can't cope.

Understand. I don't like throwing out old stuff that still works. I had a few smaller shredders from back in the day. One is a 3 sheet shredder which I don't use anymore. Another was a 5 sheet shredder that I used until it broke, then I did not feel bad about sending it to the landfill. No tears when that small shredder died because I already had bigger, stronger, shredders in use.

But, like I said, I got a used 10 and 12 sheet shredder from our thrift shop for less than $5.00 each. That's what I'm using now.

Have you tried posting them as available on Freecycle? I hadn’t seen one asked for but when I offered one there was interest.
Unfortunately I experienced a lot of hassle when I posted in that area where I used to live, so I stopped posting. I had mainly time-wasters but some people reported folk returning to demand further items. It's ok where I am now.
I'm hoping that they'll cope with the cardboard so I can use it in the run. As AVJudge remarked, the paper strips don't look good once they've escaped and the cardboard seems to do the job better.
Those magic scissors should help!

the paper strips don't look good once they've escaped and the cardboard seems to do the job better.

I will say it again, I don't have any problems with using paper shreds in my chicken coop because they are basically out of sight. When I toss the spent paper shreds out into the chicken run, I either dig a trench in the compost and cover them over, or I toss the shreds into a pile and dump fresh grass clippings or leaves on top of that pile.

I don't like the looks of paper shreds out in the chicken run. I prefer to see natural look of green grass clippings or leaves. So, I cover or bury any shreds I dump into the chicken run. Also, if I don't cover the paper shreds. a good wind will blow those shreds all over my lawn.

One big advantage to covering the paper shreds in the chicken run is that they will compost all the faster. Composting litter in the chicken run is my main goal, and paper shreds compost much faster than either wood chips or leaves. But I mix in all organics and just let them compost together.

If you shred brown cardboard boxes for the coop litter and then the chicken run, I think that would look just fine without having to cover it. I guess what I don't like about the paper shreds I use is the multicolored shreds don't look "natural" outside. Maybe someone would like that look of multicolored shreds in the chicken run, but I don't.

Those magic scissors should help!

:old My old hands would feel the workout if I had to cut up cardboard with a manual scissors for any length of time. I currently don't have much heavy cardboard to use as paper shreds, so I have not invested in a battery powered scissors/shears. But it would jump to the top of my list if I was going to use lots of cardboard for shredding. It would not take long to pay for itself just in ease of use, productivity, and saving myself from sore hands.

Also, I think using a powered scissors to cut heavy cardboard into smaller strips for the credit card slot would add years of life to a home paper shredder. So, not only would you give your hands a break, but you would also be helping your shredder, too.

I will say it again, I don't have any problems with using paper shreds in my chicken coop because they are basically out of sight. When I toss the spent paper shreds out into the chicken run, I either dig a trench in the compost and cover them over, or I toss the shreds into a pile and dump fresh grass clippings or leaves on top of that pile.

I don't like the looks of paper shreds out in the chicken run. I prefer to see natural look of green grass clippings or leaves. So, I cover or bury any shreds I dump into the chicken run. Also, if I don't cover the paper shreds. a good wind will blow those shreds all over my lawn.

One big advantage to covering the paper shreds in the chicken run is that they will compost all the faster. Composting litter in the chicken run is my main goal, and paper shreds compost much faster than either wood chips or leaves. But I mix in all organics and just let them compost together.

If you shred brown cardboard boxes for the coop litter and then the chicken run, I think that would look just fine without having to cover it. I guess what I don't like about the paper shreds I use is the multicolored shreds don't look "natural" outside. Maybe someone would like that look of multicolored shreds in the chicken run, but I don't.

:old My old hands would feel the workout if I had to cut up cardboard with a manual scissors for any length of time. I currently don't have much heavy cardboard to use as paper shreds, so I have not invested in a battery powered scissors/shears. But it would jump to the top of my list if I was going to use lots of cardboard for shredding. It would not take long to pay for itself just in ease of use, productivity, and saving myself from sore hands.

Also, I think using a powered scissors to cut heavy cardboard into smaller strips for the credit card slot would add years of life to a home paper shredder. So, not only would you give your hands a break, but you would also be helping your shredder, too.
It's not what comes to mind as chicken-keeping equipment but powered scissors could go on my wish list for a Christmas presents :)
The link you provided (thank you) led to a price of several hundred dollars!! I found others at a reasonable price (£20-£40) but they are available for a variety of purposes, and I sew, including soft furnishings, so I''ll be browsing the various options.
My shredders don't have credit-card slots but yes, smaller strips wolud be better for the shredder. There's loads of cardboard at the moment because OH has been collecting it for his shed floor. We've also got the boxes I saved for moving house.

The link you provided (thank you) led to a price of several hundred dollars!!

:eek: Must be a special price for the UK! Here, the link price was about $40.00. It's not the cheapest option, but that brand has good reviews. Anyways, there are lots of other choices from other companies.

My shredders don't have credit-card slots but yes, smaller strips wolud be better for the shredder.

My home paper shredders do not have a separate slot for credit cards, but rather a part of the shredder in the middle of the wide slot that is designated for shredding up credit cards. I suppose the middle of the wide slot is the strongest part of the shredder. Anyways, cutting the heavy cardboard into strips and feeding them down the middle would be easier on my home shredders.

1670603499303.png

It's not what comes to mind as chicken-keeping equipment but powered scissors could go on my wish list for a Christmas presents

I like the idea and convenience of using a powered scissors. But you could also cut heavy cardboard into strips with a manual razor knife. Razor knives are cheap, but I like the idea of a powered scissors as a safer alternative.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be safe with a razor knife! I don't even sharpen kitchen knives! 😂
The sensor that operates my shredder is in the centre, so that's where any small pieces have to go, or else it can't tell that they're there.

OH arrived with the old shredders, a lifetimes' supply of scrap paper, and some card. I shredded enough card to give a few inches' even depth across the run ready for the freezing fog, yesterday and today
At the end of the day, the lovely deep layer was studded with bare craters! They must have been dust-bathing where the shreds had absorbed the soil moisture. I'll probably do some more later in the hope of alleviating the fog and filling the craters.

Back
Top Bottom