Using soluble calcium

Harrietsmum

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
I have a hen who is laying (pooping) shell-less eggs off the perch every night. This has been going on for three weeks. before that she had been very sick and lost half her body weight. I have been giving her oyster shell, crushed egg shell. milky porridge, yoghurt etc but she is not putting shell on the eggs.
So I have been to the chemist and the only suitable calcium supplement is a soluble tablet.
As well as1000mg calcium, the tablet also contains - aspartame, phenylalanine, and traces of sorbitol. Are any of these dangerous for poultry? Thanks for you help.

I would be leary of using anything with aspertame in it, and the other one phenylalanine doesn't sound safe either, sorbital is sugar.. can you get liquid calcium> I ordered liquid calcium and it came with Magnesium citrate in it. but the other ingredients are all natural.. sometimes you can order on line and get things you can't find in the store. also i have heard of people using tums to help get calcium into their hen.

Last edited:
I cannot find Tums for sale in New Zealand, but I have just looked at sites that mention Tums, and see aspartame and phenylalanine are listed. Could someone in the states please look on their Tums container and see what ingredients are listed, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom